Replacing the Fluids

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick.

Reaction score
While my new tank sealer in curing I decided to drain out all the old fluids and replace them. I did the radiator the day I got it and now there's nothing but nice neon green stuff in there.

My next question is, does this thing have an oil filter? What about a dip stick??? I found where to put the oil but how much do I put in, 2 or 3 qt?

For the rear end does it need just 80-90 or does it need hypoid gear oil? Also, those bolts on there were stuck good, a little PB blast and the drain came off alright. The top was a pain. When I broke it loose I fell over because of how much pressure I had to use lol

The oil filter is a cartridge style on your bike and sits right behind the front headers. Watch out for the bolt though as it's made from Swiss cheese and rounds over VERY easily.

I believe it's close to 4 qts. Not sure exactly as I fill by the site glass on the right side bottom front of motor while holding the bike balanced and on even ground.

The rear lube is 80W90 or 75W90. I use Mobil 1. Fill till at the hole.

Don't forget the forks as well. Some 15wt goes a long way towards a better front end and MOST forget to do the maintenance.

While my new tank sealer in curing I decided to drain out all the old fluids and replace them. I did the radiator the day I got it and now there's nothing but nice neon green stuff in there.

My next question is, does this thing have an oil filter? What about a dip stick??? I found where to put the oil but how much do I put in, 2 or 3 qt?

For the rear end does it need just 80-90 or does it need hypoid gear oil? Also, those bolts on there were stuck good, a little PB blast and the drain came off alright. The top was a pain. When I broke it loose I fell over because of how much pressure I had to use lol

Yes, the oil filter is directly underneath the motor, remove the housing, there is a replacement cartridge type filter inside. There is a spring and a washer or two inside, take care not to lose them.

I just go to the dealer and get a quart of Yama-lube whatever it is...one quart will last for several changes.

Also, wouldn't be a bad idea to flush out your hydraulic systems either. There is a down loadable manual here on the forum that would help you a lot, have you been able to find it?

The oil filter is a cartridge style on your bike and sits right behind the front headers. Watch out for the bolt though as it's made from Swiss cheese and rounds over VERY easily.

I believe it's close to 4 qts. Not sure exactly as I fill by the site glass on the right side bottom front of motor while holding the bike balanced and on even ground.

The rear lube is 80W90 or 75W90. I use Mobil 1. Fill till at the hole.

Don't forget the forks as well. Some 15wt goes a long way towards a better front end and MOST forget to do the maintenance.

He's got an '85 Chris....replaceable element, bottom of motor, right?

The Service Manual is located on page 6 of 'VMF Links'

A quart for the engine? Dan-o what have you been drinking? Or do you mean a gallon?

I, and many others, have been using Shell Rotella-T (15W40 here in FL) and are happy with it.

To check the oil level through the window on the bottom right of the motor, make sure the bike is on its center stand on level ground.

When filling the rear diff, make sure to go until oil comes out of the top hole - correct level is flush with the top of the hole's thread.

Also, get yourself the Yamaha Service Manual from www.vmaxoutlaw.com - it's a free download and has all the info you need, including all bolts torque specs (the rear diff do NOT need to be tighten like yours were).

A quart for the engine? Dan-o what have you been drinking? Or do you mean a gallon?
QUOTE]

No silly, for the final drive!! :punk:

Rito, thas wot I thought, only the way you worded it it looked like it was for the motor :biglaugh:

I also used a quart for 3 changes so far and there's still a teeny wee bit left in the bottle. :clapping:

Also, wouldn't be a bad idea to flush out your hydraulic systems either. There is a down loadable manual here on the forum that would help you a lot, have you been able to find it?
I have the manual... i think... I'll have to look. I also did my brakes and clutch. The clutch got bled a while ago because there wasn't ANY pressure in it at all. Got it nice and stiff and did both the front and back brakes too.

I just need to go out and get pads for it and I'm set!

Oh, and where do i put fork oil in at, through the same hole it comes out? and how much do I put in?

I just need to go out and get pads for it and I'm set!

Get EBC HH pads from Gary McCoy - best pads for Max at the best price!
Oh, and where do i put fork oil in at, through the same hole it comes out? and how much do I put in?

Yup - comes out of the top and goes back in the same hole. You put 451cm3 (15.3oz) in each tube. Service manual says fill it up, pump the fork a few times to distribute the oil then fit the spring etc.

It wouldn't hurt to looking into changing your brake fluids and clutch fluid also. These fluids absorb water over time and can cause damage.

It wouldn't hurt to looking into changing your brake fluids and clutch fluid also. These fluids absorb water over time and can cause damage.

He mentioned on the previous page that those fluids were already changed recently. And if that's the case, if you need new brake pads you might end up needing to remove a little fluid from the M/C's to make room when pushing your pistons back in. Just a possible heads-up.

Back