Replacing the R/R Unit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred

Reaction score
Hi There, looking at replacing the R/R unit on my 85 max as i don't think it has ever been changed and eats the batteries even with an optimate going. Is there a certain spec i need to be looking for?:biglaugh:

I sell the newer units for $75 plus shipping. I think Kyle sells them for a little less.

Sean

Yes they are the same size the only real differencing thing between the two styles is one has cooling fins and 5 wires ( 2 for battery (+) and (-) then 3 for stator ) where as the older style has 4 wires (+) to battery uses a frame ground and 3 stator wires and no cooling fins.
I would use the newer style and do the crimp fix as out lined in RaWarroir's post His fix will bring your charging system up peak performance RaWarroir's most excellent post

i have done the "crimp" fix I think i will need a newer rr after im done diagnosing the prob. I;ll be in touch.

thx

Thanks sean, how much is the shipping to the UK?

A couple of points - have you confirmed that the R/R is Donald Ducked? There isn't any point in replacing the R/R unless you have tested it and found it faulty.
Second, I would have thought you could source in the UK cheaper and quicker. Electrex list them for ?65 or Stuff for Bikes at ?62.22.

Alternatively put a post in the wanted section of V Max Chat.

i have printed off RaWarroirs Most excellent post from previous message from PDWeyand and will go through that. The bike has the original RR Unit on it and we are replacing the battery at least once a year even with using a trickle charge when not in use. It has always had this problem with holding charge and reading other threads and seeing that the original unit was bad when new let alone now its 27 yrs old feel it can only help.
I found the stuff for bikes and another UK site last night that seem to have them.

A couple of points - have you confirmed that the R/R is Donald Ducked? There isn't any point in replacing the R/R unless you have tested it and found it faulty. L].

I'd be shocked if an original '85 shunt r/r was still working properly. Ive also tested many brick-style R/Rs that were in-spec according to the manual, yet simply didnt work or had crummy output. I've replaced dozens of brick style and not a single finned working at the marina.

If you replace it make sure the one you get is the finned style off later bikes. Or get a bigger better one as shown in my tutorial if you can find a home for it.

Back