Rims came in today ;)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm actually having a Proffesional do all the work for me. I just don't want any headaches. After reading all the horror stories from you all. And i want it done fast so im dropping her off on tuesday and should be done by friday. I will also be helping him out. He has worked on all my bikes for 20 years now and is a family friend. He's doing it for me real cheap. Mounting balancing tires installing swing arm installing progressive springs

Not much to it. Might as well take off the diff and rear wheel all separately since you need to reuse the diff anyway. You'll want to install the new arm (paying attention to the routing of the brake line), Note that you don't need a ton of torque on the pin on the right side but you can tighten the jam nut down tight, install the driveshaft, then put the diff on the wheel and roll that into place. You can put the shocks on before or after the wheel/diff.

Sean

Not much to it. Might as well take off the diff and rear wheel all separately since you need to reuse the diff anyway. You'll want to install the new arm (paying attention to the routing of the brake line), Note that you don't need a ton of torque on the pin on the right side but you can tighten the jam nut down tight, install the driveshaft, then put the diff on the wheel and roll that into place. You can put the shocks on before or after the wheel/diff.

Sean

I'm sure my mechanic knows what to do but I'm gonna have this just in case he has any questions ;)
Thanks Sean

Sean

Do you "need" a new wing arm to run these wheels?

Sorry for the newb question.

Do you "need" a new wing arm to run these wheels?

Sorry for the newb question.

Only if you are getting really wide tires. I have a 170/60 on my 18" wheel and only had to do the washer swap. 17" wheels allow even wider tires without swingarm mods. The swingarm narrows toward the front so bigger wheels go farther into the swingarm where it narrows requiring narrower tires. Also different tires are slightly different in size even if marked the same size. There are enough people on this site with different combinations that you can see if the combo you like will work.

Only if you are getting really wide tires. I have a 170/60 on my 18" wheel and only had to do the washer swap. 17" wheels allow even wider tires without swingarm mods. The swingarm narrows toward the front so bigger wheels go farther into the swingarm where it narrows requiring narrower tires. Also different tires are slightly different in size even if marked the same size. There are enough people on this site with different combinations that you can see if the combo you like will work.

Thanks for the explanation. I have no ambition to run really wide tires... just to move into radial tires. Looks like I will be doing this mod soon depending on price. What wheel do you have? Carrozzeria's?

The carrs are only 18" and you can install up to a 180 wide on a stock swingarm. Up to a 200 on a notched swingarm like we offer. I do have one 17" set on "sale" but it will require a notched arm to clear the 190 tire.

Thanks for the explanation. I have no ambition to run really wide tires... just to move into radial tires. Looks like I will be doing this mod soon depending on price. What wheel do you have? Carrozzeria's?

My front is stock and the rear is an 18" Kosman. Due to the difference in offset, my Kosman can't go larger than a 170 and that requires the washer swap. The Carr's allow a larger tire. Probably due to a different offset. If I had the money, I would get a set of the Carr's in chrome. They are much lighter and better looking. Due to money considerations, I got the Kosman used and had it powdercoated gloss black to match the front. Also added orange stripes to match the paint scheme.

Looks great Mark,( I only see one thing missing) I'd love those wheels on my GEN II someday!

Back