Runs like crap when damp

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilD

Reaction score
Ok, if it rains and the bike is out side (like at work) or even a heavy dew over night, bike runs like crap and the tach doesn't work right, and i have to keep the rpm's up above 3500 or it sounds like it;s going to bog out. Don't even begin to know where to start looking, any ideas? Once a few hours pass and it's dried out, it's fine. Plug wires maybe?

Ok, if it rains and the bike is out side (like at work) or even a heavy dew over night, bike runs like crap and the tach doesn't work right, and i have to keep the rpm's up above 3500 or it sounds like it;s going to bog out. Don't even begin to know where to start looking, any ideas? Once a few hours pass and it's dried out, it's fine. Plug wires maybe?

Thats where i'd start.

It sounds to me like a leak in the wires or the coils but, most likely you have high voltage arking going on somewhere.
my boss used to let me park my bike inside when it rained (cause the owner told him to lol) as long as it is out of the way.
Get a spray bottle and when it`s dark fire it up and spray some water around the plugs and wires and see what happens then.
<<Dave>>:punk:

Ok, great idea 626, Think i might order some plug wire and plugs too.

check ur coils for cracks too. easy to do on the rears.

hmmmm, maybe.

Did this mod to my '99 last year, bike was never ridden in the rain, always garaged, roughly 9K on the clock.....each of the 3 coils that I removed (a front one was too far hidden to bother with) had cracks.

Not saying this is your problem, but it's a good place to start.

even if u have one coil cracked, this is a cheaper mod. plus mark is a good guy to deal with. provides everything you need. takes 20 mins to install.

only problem is tboost so far. just an fyi.

i have noticed a bit better in the midrange with the COPs

even if u have one coil cracked, this is a cheaper mod. plus mark is a good guy to deal with. provides everything you need. takes 20 mins to install.

only problem is tboost so far. just an fyi.

i have noticed a bit better in the midrange with the COPs
Garret, Where did you get your t boost from ?? cause I have no problems with mine at all:confused2:
<<Dave>>:biglaugh:

then we have the same one with the little round module ??
It has to be your hook up , I would send you a pic of my setup but it`s all wrapped up in the harness with gorilla tape.
Dave:biglaugh:

My 88 really needs new wires so I think I am gonna just do this cop mod & fix that & also hopefully I am getting an 86 next week & I know it needs wires so I might have to find 2 sets of the coils maybe 3 if I decide to do my 85 later on.

dave so far is the only one

waiting for 44 magnum to get back to me, as he says his works, but he thinks his tboost is either on always or stock settings, which i would change mine to in a heartbeat!

works fine when OEM coils/plugs are on.
Thats strange,
as soon as my tach hits 3 grand, I feel and hear the v-boost kick in but, I`m thinking of putting in a switch like mark did but maybe a double throw so I don`t have to hold it for it to open and close.
<<Dave>>:biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back