sea foam question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmioton

Reaction score
I finally found some sea foam here in NYC, and am planning to add it to my bike this weekend.

How much and how often do you guys add to the gas tank? I'm at 12k, but running a bit rough lately. I'm waiting for my carbtune pro to arrive, but in the meantime figured I'd try seafoam since everyone seems to support it.

Also, do you add it to the enging as well? If so how much are you adding and do you need to change the oil right after?

Thanks guys!

I don't think it's intended for adding to the oil? never heard of doing it anyway.....

Seafoam is Great for pulling water out of gas, other than that I don't think it's a permanent fix for nasty carbs.....Can help but everyone I know that gets a temporary fix out of it ends up having to do it the hard way and rebuild/clean the carbs evetually......Unless the problem is only fuel contamination related

In answer to your quesion, I'll use about a 1/4 of the pint can in a full tank of gas, and only when it needs it due to condensation/moisture in the gas.............

In my opinion the only thing you need to put in your crank case is clean oil, often.....i didn't realize how important this was until puling my motor apart (2nd gear failure) and seeing bearing wear and "grit marks" on an otherwise good running engine....admittedly the grit marks could have been things that got circulated when the gear teeth broke......

I don't think it's intended for adding to the oil? never heard of doing it anyway.....

Seafoam is Great for pulling water out of gas, other than that I don't think it's a permanent fix for nasty carbs.....Can help but everyone I kow that gets a temporary fix out of it ends up having to do it the hard way and rebuild/clean the carbs evetually......

In answer to your quesion, I'll use about a 1/4 of the pint can in a full tank of gas, and only when it needs it due to condensation/moisture in the gas.............

In my opinion the only thing you need to put in your crank case is clean oil, often.....i didn't realize how important this was until puling my motor apart (2nd gear failure) and seeing bearing wear and "grit marks" on an otherwise good running engine....admittedly the grit marks could have been things that got circulated when the gear teeth broke......

Thanks Rusty. I'll add some tonight.

I asked about adding to the motor, because suggests it as an application as well. I've been vigilant about oil changes, so I doubt I'd need it...just curious...

I have been using Sea Foam for years in all my gas engines (in the gas tank only ) It not only helps with gas contaminates/water it also dissolves varnish and works well for winter storage as a fuel stabilizer. I use 1 oz per gallon as a regular carb maintenance but I would use more if I was having carb issues, just because it is the easiest thing to try if you suspect dirty carbs.

While it says it's OK to add to oil, something about doing that doesn't jive with me. Seafoam contains a lot of solvents, and somehow I think those solvents would negatively affect the oil's lubricating properties, or cause the oil to break down sooner.

If you think you have dirty carbs, try 1/2 can per tank for two tanks. If it hasn't cleared up, then do the shotgun/peashooter techniques. Still running rough? Carb overhaul.

Some people like to add it at every fill up, honestly I don't really see the point of that. The one minor upswing of ethanol blended gas is that ethanol is an alcohol, and most off-the-shelf carb cleaners are just some flavor of alcohol, so gas now kind of has carb-cleaner built in. Alcohols also absorb water, so E10 will "hold" a small amount of water as well(too much and it phase separates though). If you carbs are in good repair and tune, and your bike doesn't sit around a lot, the only thing you need to put in the tank is regular 87. It it sits for more than a couple weeks, the blue sta-bil is a good idea.

Some people here have also reported well on this stuff called "start your engines".

At my last department, the King of the motor pool would put it in the engines of our patrol cars, run them out the highway then bring them back for the oil change.

His old truck was kissing the 200k mark when he upgraded. As for the patrol cars, we had one car at over 130k miles and two that were over 90k. All of the fleet ran like tops. That routine he had going definately extended the life of the cars. Any cop will tell you it's unheard of to have a constant use patrol car with that high of milage. Normally they're auctioned off and later becone cabs, or de-badged and used as city run-about vehicles.

I do the same thing with my truck and bike when it comes time to change the oil a 1/4 can goes in the Vmax and 1/2 can in the truck. Drive them around a little then drain.
I wouldn't really feel comfortable, leaving it in the crankcase though.

I thought I'd heard something about using Sea Foam in the crank case. I would think it could do good just before an oil change but agree with KJ about not leaving it in for too long...

Yeah seafoam in the crankcase is just to be used right before an oil change. Usually it is added when the oil is hot and the engine is ran for about 20 mins then change the oil. But a quality oil usually does fine by itself.

Back