Seafoam or Snake oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1RadV

Reaction score
I looked at a can of seafoam at kragen and was surprised to see that they do not list anything of what it's made of usually they are petrollium distiliates says you can use it in motor oil and just about everything else sure makes you wonder.

I'll have to check that out but after driving it again I'm thinking I'm going to need a drink. Heck while I'm at it maybe i'll just pour the rest into my oil and see if it will refurbish my Berings too.

If you search for the MSDS it lists (vaguely) the ingredients.

IIRC it's mostly pale oil with a splash of naptha(aka white gas) added.

I'd be hesitant about putting it in crankcase oil, I don't see what benefit it would cause anyway.

In carbs I have seen it improve things, though usually if something runs, but runs a little rough or hesitant. It's something to try if you get a little hiccup in running, though hardly substitute for a good carb rebuild if you've got major issues.

Start Your Engine is expensive but did help with a badly gooked up set of carbs...
Just another option, much better than Snake Oil..

Sea foam..... Seen a million post from guys that claim it's the best ever. I have report that my own somewhat unscientific test proved otherwise. I had a set of carbines up pistons, I put a cap full of sea foam on one, similar Amsoil product on another, and berrymans b12 chemtool on another and let set over night. Seafoam completely failed to remove the crud. No noticeable effect at all, Amsoil.... Maybe a bit better but was hard to tell, berrymans was the only one to effectively cut the crud.

So.... If your goal is intake cleanup... Forget the seafoam, I think it is good for top end lubrication but I dont see it cleaning off the crud on yor valves etc... Berrymans b12chemtool Definately has some serious cutting and cleaning power. When I'm trying to clean up a bike that's been sitting I will first run one remote tank, 1/2 gal or less of berrymans mixed w/ fuel, then another of seafoam mix, just to lube top end.

Best way to get rid of carbon is fill 'er up with 87 octane and go wind the piss out of it for a while. A few minutes at 140 should do the trick.

The first time I really ran my Max up (I did take it easy for a few weeks as I got the feel for it), I smashed it in second up a long uphill on ramp. Held it WOT through top of fourth gear. buddy behind me said after a couple seconds a light, though constant stream of sooty black smoke came out the exhausts.

Did this another couple times and it got less and less and it never shot smoke again for 20k miles I owned it, white, black, or otherwise. The p/o of the bike told me he'd never had it past 85....it just needed a little clean-out. I rode it hard enough it never had a chance to get crapped up.

Best way to get rid of carbon is fill 'er up with 87 octane and go wind the piss out of it for a while. A few minutes at 140 should do the trick.

The first time I really ran my Max up (I did take it easy for a few weeks as I got the feel for it), I smashed it in second up a long uphill on ramp. Held it WOT through top of fourth gear. buddy behind me said after a couple seconds a light, though constant stream of sooty black smoke came out the exhausts.

Did this another couple times and it got less and less and it never shot smoke again for 20k miles I owned it, white, black, or otherwise. The p/o of the bike told me he'd never had it past 85....it just needed a little clean-out. I rode it hard enough it never had a chance to get crapped up.

probably woulda been good to check your valves after that too!

I've actually used Seafoam to scrub the burnt shellack outta my bolt assembly on my AR-15 after a few k-rounds of cheap Wolfe surplus ammo...:biglaugh: I have had good luck with it in every thing I've used it in. It doesn't work miracles, but at the very least, starts a helluva fire:clapping::biglaugh:

BG 44 K is some of the BEST Carb and Valve Cleaner on the planet. Pour it in and run it out. It is not recommend to leave it in your fuel system for extended periods of time. I have three cans of it on my shelf now and run it thru my vehicles every 20K anyway. Keeps injectors cleaned. And it keeps my Maxes fuel ports clean.

Back before the high-precision manufacturing we currently enjoy, when people used to get valve jobs at 50,000 miles, a trick for decarboning engines was to slowly introduce water into the carb bellmouth. When it hit the combustion chamber & turned to steam, it would pressure-clean the combustion chamber. Water expands as steam to 1700 times its liquid volume. The engine would make quite a racket, and the exhaust would emit what looked like a disgusting and scary cloud, but it would eventually dissipate.

Now, I have never done this to my engines, but I have read of it, so don't try this at home unless you know what you are doing, or some such caveat.

If you search on here, I have posted about Marvel Mystery Oil, Seafoam, Start Your Engines, and Sta-Bil. Search by any of them and my screen name or try MSDS. It's all there from before, including links to the MSDS info.

Back