Seal washer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prmurat

Reaction score
I am sure you all know #7 in this parts list:
http://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004366ef8700209bc78c181/front-fork

I ordered one while changing my seal (only the leaking leg... I am lazy!!) as I was surprised to see it like this (conical not flat):
80584a01120bbe0d937673b646e0f5f9.jpg

f964bab7383c652d117dbe6a4c0bcfae.jpg

Any idea how this can happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd guess that either someone was way too aggressive with the fork seal driver
OR they really liked to do wheelies and was coming down way too hard.

Even if it is the 2nd time in 21 years I have to change a fork seal I am wondering if it useful to take the fork apart? Is there not a way to, once the clip is off (and certainly the oil), to just slide the dead seal off and replace it? Not sure the cap/tube thread will stand another dismantle !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder the same thing. I just changed both sides on a '93 VMAX. 1st time it's been changed. After doing the lower 10mm hex bolt with an impact wrench as suggested on another site I then "hammered" the two halves apart and then essentially put them right back. About the only thing that accomplished was to pop out that oil seal.
If it's been done before and the inside has been cleaned and the fork oil changed out occasionally it shouldn't need all that.
I recently changed a rear transmission seal on a pickup driveshaft. All you had to do there was pry out the old seal then drive the new one in like this situation.
I think if you could come up with a way to pry out the old seal after taking out that little metal holding clip you should be able to do it.

I wonder the same thing. I just changed both sides on a '93 VMAX. 1st time it's been changed. After doing the lower 10mm hex bolt with an impact wrench as suggested on another site I then "hammered" the two halves apart and then essentially put them right back. About the only thing that accomplished was to pop out that oil seal.
If it's been done before and the inside has been cleaned and the fork oil changed out occasionally it shouldn't need all that.
I recently changed a rear transmission seal on a pickup driveshaft. All you had to do there was pry out the old seal then drive the new one in like this situation.
I think if you could come up with a way to pry out the old seal after taking out that little metal holding clip you should be able to do it.

Blax knew what he was talking about-good ole Texas boy.

Ive always had good luck following Seans video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWjsB0eHcFo&t=

Back