Seems to drop cylinders

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otpracer

Reaction score
I have an 86 with 40k on it. I just had the carbs cleaned ans synced by a highly reputable location. I am having an issue that I can't put my finger on.
It seems to be dropping a cylinder or cylinders. It was only doing it while puttering through town, 35-40mph. I smell a lot of raw fuel when this happens. I went through and dielectric greased all the connections. Today I respliced all three wires for the stator. I took it out for about 40 miles and it ran great. Thought I fixed it. Took it out again a few hours later, now it is doing the same thing again, except now it is doing it at different rpms.

Could this be the sign of a stator going bad? I do have a Dyna ignition on it. It isn't that old. I can't find the stock one to put back on it to try that out. I am running out of riding season here in NY and am looking for all thoughts.

Thanks guys,

You might try unplugging the sidestand relay, I have seen them do what you are describing. This may not be the problem but it is worth a try.

drop cylinders? Are they failing to fire? If so you may have lack of spark or excess of fuel flooding plugs. You can check for spark. Which cylinders are not firing?

I need to dig into it to see which cylinders it is. I believe it is a spark issue, but need to verify that as well.

Mine did the same thing awhile back, had a bad coil. Mine had a wide split in it, got a used one from Sean pretty cheap, problem solved.

I will pull them out and check them. Not sure how it would run awesome for forty miles then start doing it again though.

Took up and down the road and killed it on the way in the driveway. Seems as though it is the right front cylinder, as that is the only plug that was wet. I will pull the coil out and give it a look see.

I will pull them out and check them. Not sure how it would run awesome for forty miles then start doing it again though.
Yeah I know it sounds crazy, that's why it took me so long to find my issue. I kept thinking carb issues, I pulled and cleaned them 3 times, then sent them out to be cleaned. After 30 miles it would start to pop and miss, then the cylinder would drop out, ride it the next day and it ran great for 30 to 50 miles then it would do it again. Good luck, keep us posted. Oh, mine is a 2005 with 10,000 miles on it.

Took up and down the road and killed it on the way in the driveway. Seems as though it is the right front cylinder, as that is the only plug that was wet. I will pull the coil out and give it a look see.
I found mine by checking the heat of my exhaust manifolds. I would ride it until the cylinder dropped out, then let it cool for ten minutes and carefully touched the manifolds, I could easily tell what cylinder it was. Just keep in mind the front coils are on the opposite side of the cylinder, so be sure to fallow your plug wires to get to the correct coil.

If you're gonna go thru the trouble of pulling a front coil, bin them all and get COPs!

I believe there are a few sets left from Gannon..

Ok guys, 2FEAR was right. It's a coil. I swapped the coil from the wet cylinder and swapped it with one of the back ones. Now the back cylinder is wet. Where is the best placeto get one? Naughty G, how much am I looking at for the cop conversion? I was thinking about doing it this winter anyway but for now I just want to get out and ride. Thanks for all the help guys.

Ok guys, 2FEAR was right. It's a coil. I swapped the coil from the wet cylinder and swapped it with one of the back ones. Now the back cylinder is wet. Where is the best placeto get one? Naughty G, how much am I looking at for the cop conversion? I was thinking about doing it this winter anyway but for now I just want to get out and ride. Thanks for all the help guys.
Contact Sean @ Morley's Muscle, he hooked me up. Banner at the top of this page.

Ask 88vmx12 for his plug'n'play COP set. About $200 - cheaper than OEM coils!!

Back