Selling my project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarick123

Reaction score
I started earlier this year working on rebuilding a bike that was run into a lake... engine is from an '88 and has been completely rebuilt, using Damon's video and parts from Sean. All new bearings and gaskets everywhere, stainless bolts, repainted with high-gloss/high-heat paint. Frame is a '98 with a clear title (the mileage escapes me at the moment). Wheels were painted a matte black and are shod with new Metzelers. I forget who made the speedo, but it's a digital one with a custom bracket to hold it. The carbs were pretty much destroyed, so I never bothered rebuilding them (figured I'd just buy a new set when the time was right).

Anyone interested in picking up a kit that has almost everything you'd need to start a rebuild?

What are you wanting for it? You could prob make more $$ parting it out, but it is a lot more work too. Post some pics if you have them as well.
Cheers,

Jeff

I just tore down a bike to send to Sean. I was wanting to build a prestine bike for the wife to ride. I am interested if the engine has a great great finish.

Tim Nash

Mostly what I'm wanting is three-fold...

1. I want enough out of it to use as a down-payment on a new bike (yet to be determined).
2. I want to not have to ship the engine and frame if at all possible.
3. I want it out of my living room. :)

I'll try to get some pictures together this evening.

It's certainly not a "great great finish", but it's more than passable from a distance of 5 feet or more. Once you get close up, you'll see places where the paint has kind of an orange peel effect in some areas, or a spot where the buffing wheel rubbed the paint while trying to polish up some of the bare aluminum.

I also forgot, when it was rebuilt, I used Ross high compression pistons instead of the stock ones.

And the frame is a '99, not a '98. I can provide a VIN to interested people so they can run a CarFax on it.

Attachments

• DSC_0163.jpg
    DSC_0163.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0164.jpg
    DSC_0164.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_0165.jpg
    DSC_0165.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 51
  • SNC10637.jpg
    SNC10637.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 59
Tim, this would probably be a very good engine for your wifes bike. As he noted we supplied him with most of the parts for the build. I think we also sent a HD oiling kit. Not sure if we did the ARP headstuds though? I know all the plain bearings/gaskets and misc normally needed for a rebuild.

Tim, this would probably be a very good engine for your wifes bike. As he noted we supplied him with most of the parts for the build. I think we also sent a HD oiling kit. Not sure if we did the ARP headstuds though? I know all the plain bearings/gaskets and misc normally needed for a rebuild.

For me, the sticky part of this deal is the pick-up. Secondly, I am wanting near "show bike" quality. Moreover, I am beyond crunched for time. I may have stumbled into a good deal on an very very nice '02 today. I will know by the end of the weekend what I need to do. The 89 is in parts on the floor. I will still need to get some seals and gaskets for it. You have some?

Tim

I should have everything you need. I am short on mid gear covers but should have those back in stock by next week. I just picked up a 2002 this last weekend you could almost eat off of. It's got less then 2K miles on it (they speedo shows 1144). I've actually got to replace the engine which we will do - though the mileage won't be as low on it. Going to sell it after we put it back to 100% stock.

I do have my 99 we just got done with though I could sell just the engine too.

Getting the trans fixed in yours is still possible but would really push the timeframe tight. I can help you get the engine shipped from anyone to almost anywhere. Then I am sure you could have that engine bead blasted and painted locally and we do ours fully assembled too.

Sean

I realize I'm breaking an unwritten rule by bumping a thread this old... but now that warmer weather is starting to pop up here and there, it's time to get serious about getting this gone.

Anyone in or around the Upstate SC area looking for a mostly rebuilt engine?

I realize I'm breaking an unwritten rule by bumping a thread this old... but now that warmer weather is starting to pop up here and there, it's time to get serious about getting this gone.

Anyone in or around the Upstate SC area looking for a mostly rebuilt engine?

I'm not far from you , just outside Atlanta. What are you asking for it ?

Latest posts

Back