shifter segment ???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmaxgrizz686

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and was browsing around and came across the shifter segment update.Is this a must have update?? I mean what are the chances of the old style failing?? There was no recall from Yammi for this.Is this a issue or peace of mind update.A friend (Service manager of my local dealership) has been working on these bikes since 85 and has never had a issue or changed these parts.Any info on this topic would be great.:th_peace:

If you shift properly you'll increase the chances of pins not dropping. I still have the original in mine. I'll upgrade when/if it goes.

It's kind of a piece of mind thing, but the pins dropped on my '97 with about 15k miles, and really without warning., I had to ride like 100 miles in third gear because I lost fourth and fifth. Depending on which pins drop, you can lose some or all of your gears, or get stuck in a single gear, or only be able to shift up, or only down.

It's not difficult to update, and I got all the parts needed from Sean for like $70 I believe. Takes maybe an hour-90 min start to finish. You have to remove the clutch cover, then the clutch and clutch boss. Then one screw and the segment pops out, install the new one, and re-assemble. Just make sure you line up the marks on all the clutch plates.

Back