Shinko 230 170/80 15 and 110/90 18

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonoran6

Reaction score
Just got these delivered today and installed today as well. Riding home my bike felt, well, really different. Awkward even. Kinda wobbly, sloppy feeling. Anyone that has used/is using these tires care to chime in?

I had them before going to radials and I loved them, nice and tight by Vmax standards anyway..

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I just put a set on after going thru 3 sets of Metzeler 880s.. I really like them. Very stable in the twistys. Only downside I find is it's harder to do rolling burnout. I hear they only last half as long as Metzelers, but at half the price, I should break even.

LOL. I just had one installed on my rear wheel and noticed that same sort of undulating, snaky feeling going down the highway.

Maybe its just because I was used to the way my qualifiers felt. I don't really know the words to describe the feeling other than uncomfortable. Could it be that they're brand new? Like there's only 30 miles on them

Possible 'cause they're new . Also possible they are inconsistent 'cause of their home base mfg. I had one on the rear of the max with a R-1 rear brake. It was too easy to lock it up while braking. Drag racing - + 1 Twisties & braking - not so much for me.

Just got these delivered today and installed today as well. Riding home my bike felt, well, really different. Awkward even. Kinda wobbly, sloppy feeling. Anyone that has used/is using these tires care to chime in?

Chech the tire for run-out first. Is the tire balanced? I've run these tires and they grip very well. But, I've seen lots of weight on many of them to balance. I think there is some confusion mounting Shinko's as far as i.d.ing the heavey spot of the tire, and your wheel.
I had some rear tire run-out problems, but not when new. They are very resonable to buy. Last, don't go balls to the wall on the throttle with any new tire tilll you put a couple of hours on it.
Steve-o

Last edited:
I put a set on a year ago and they are almost spent on the rear. Front looks like new but cupped a bit. Debating to get another set or go Metzler 880's....decisions decisions. I run the balancing beads in both wheels and they are great. Not weights to deal with at all!

As far as their ride, they grab very well due to their soft compound. Just be careful since its so hard to do burnouts with this tire. I felt very comfortable when riding in the rain with them too.

I had a rear tire from the Superstore......swore by them....rode great...yada..yada.

Talked my buddy into getting them...also from the Superstore...pot luck.
the shop called him and told him they needed a lot of weights, but the front was OK, but the back seemed as if the belt may be shifted...he would feel a lumpity, lumpity ride between 40 and 60 mph.....I can even see the tire is uneven when riding behind or beside him on the highway.
I rode it, and it felt a bit wiggly...like riding over tar snakes.....was fine at WOT.

Superstore would only replace them if he sent them back....had Shinko look at them, then they would replace.....he didn't.

Would have cost to R&R the tire again, ship to SS, pay for shipping back with the new tire, and at least 2 weeks down time....he won't buy a tire from them anymore, neither will I.

I would assume they're balanced, old weights are off and new ones on. I ordered mine from motorcycle superstore as well. As far as going WOT with them, I have not. The uncomfortable feeling my bike has now really lowers my confidence on it.

It sounds like you either got a Bad tire or it is out of Balance.
I'd have the Balance checked or possibly even check into using the Balancing Beads.
I have run a Shinko 150-90v-15 Rear for my last 2 tires.
I got over 4000 Miles out of the 1st one and never more than 5000 out of ANY rear tire.
They are great for running hot in the twisties.
These thing stick like glue whereas with the OEM tires I always felt really loose in the twisties and couldn't run as hot as I like to.
For my agressive riding style this are the Best rear tire I have run in the 11 years of owning my Max.
I have never run a shinko front though, I always run a Sport Touring Tire up front for better handling in the Sweepers/Twisties, currently I run a Bridgestone Battlaxx BT-45V.

Last edited:
Put another 50 miles on em today. Decided to check air pressure, front at 40 rear at 42.. put them at 36 front and 34 rear. Problem solved. Bike feels glorious!!

^ I run 33 up front as per the Owners Manual.
Over-inflating them will cause uneven wear.

Glad it was an easy fix though.

Last edited:
I went with the Mtzeler 880's but a friend at work swears by the shinkos on his ZX11. He said he went to the J&P Cycles open house last weekend and continental had some new tires they were pushing....comparable to the shinkos.

Back