Shorter tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remeber Me

Reaction score
I hate the tall tire look. I have stock rims with 150/90 and 110/90 and they just look too big and cruiser for me especially in the back. Is there a different size available that are shorter like a 70 (I know the speedo will be even more off with anything shorter). If I go with these will it make the bike want to fall over in turns too easy?

Well I guess I found my answer. No. There are wider tires but no fix for the too tall problem. My tires are all new so I guess I'm lucky whether I know it or not.

The bike I got was such a deal. '99 with only 8k on it looking like it just got off the showroom. Came with Supertrapps, new 880 tires, case savers/foot rests, and the carbon fiber paint all for $4.5k. I'll take a pic of it with all the stuff I've done once I get the clear tail light on.

Well I guess I found my answer. No. There are wider tires but no fix for the too tall problem. My tires are all new so I guess I'm lucky whether I know it or not.

The bike I got was such a deal. '99 with only 8k on it looking like it just got off the showroom. Came with Supertrapps, new 880 tires, case savers/foot rests, and the carbon fiber paint all for $4.5k. I'll take a pic of it with all the stuff I've done once I get the clear tail light on.

Damn that is cheap... There IS a fix for the tires... :whistlin: Will cost you from 700-2200 to fix it though... Stock front wheel and a 110/80/18 and send the rear wheel to Kosman for 550.00 they will make it a 17" wheel...:thumbs up:

You could do like me and buy a set of Carrozzeria's and mount rubber on it for around 2200 total.:bang head:

:thumbs up:

I found kosman but I see mentions of BBK and can't find any actual product page. Is there a link for these rims anywhere?

The kosman's are cheap but appear barely nicer than stock. I was hoping for a 3 spoke conversion but I guess no one makes that?

The kosman's are cheap but appear barely nicer than stock. I was hoping for a 3 spoke conversion but I guess no one makes that?

Oh yeah they do... Gixxer or like rear wheel conversion... I thought of it as I have a wheel off my SV which is 17x5.5 but decided on a different path...

Cycle-One Off also converts old 3 spoke Yamahammer wheels to fit the Max... Neil got some for his '85 and was VERY happy...:thumbs up:

The Cycle One looks very nice. I'll have to figure out how to justify the expense.

The wheel Tom starts with is a NOS 1989 FZR 1000 wheel, and it costs them over $400 to get. Time to machine and all the little extras doesn't leave him too much room for profit. The weld and quality are beyond any other conversions I have seen.

This is my wheel without cush drive and final finish to show off the welds.

:cheers:

Neil

Attachments

• coo_wheel_welds.jpg
    coo_wheel_welds.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 13
Due to the complexity and expense I've all but given up on the idea of changing rims. I am mainly worried about how the bike will handle after doing rim/tire resizing. I think I'll just go for lower profile tires with the stock rims. That should make it look good enough and cost far less.

I am thinking it would be safe to first try the 110/80 up front and see if that makes the bike fall in too easy. If it does I can still just lift the forks up a bit to fix (I dropped them 2"). Once I get that sorted I'd try a 170/80 on the rear and adjust the forks again. If I am then happy with the handling and looks I'd replace the stock springs with Progressive's (already purchased) to the same height and be done with it. I am a little worried that with both front and rear lower profile tires the forks will have to be raised back to stock height and that won't look as good (increased rake and height being the issues). I've already changed to Progressive 12.5" in the rear.

Has anyone tried just lower profile tires on front and back (170/80, 110/80)? Does that make it look fairly nice and handle pretty well? (Pics would be appreciated.)

Due to the complexity and expense I've all but given up on the idea of changing rims. I am mainly worried about how the bike will handle after doing rim/tire resizing. I think I'll just go for lower profile tires with the stock rims. That should make it look good enough and cost far less.

I am thinking it would be safe to first try the 110/80 up front and see if that makes the bike fall in too easy. If it does I can still just lift the forks up a bit to fix (I dropped them 2"). Once I get that sorted I'd try a 170/80 on the rear and adjust the forks again. If I am then happy with the handling and looks I'd replace the stock springs with Progressive's (already purchased) to the same height and be done with it. I am a little worried that with both front and rear lower profile tires the forks will have to be raised back to stock height and that won't look as good (increased rake and height being the issues). I've already changed to Progressive 12.5" in the rear.

Has anyone tried just lower profile tires on front and back (170/80, 110/80)? Does that make it look fairly nice and handle pretty well? (Pics would be appreciated.)

170/80 is not lower it's higher... 150/90 is stock I believe... Goto the VMF links and look for the wheel/tire calculator and input your numbers and it will spit out the circumfrence(sp?) IMHO the 170/80 looks like a cartoon tire. :whistlin:

Correct.

The wheel with a 150/90 tire is 25.62 inches in height.

The 170/80 tire 25.70 inches.

Mark

Thanks for saving me. I guess a 150/80 is the best choice in metzeler. I suppose someone makes a regear for the speedometer.

Very limited choices for the front at least in metzeler; 120/70 is probably as close as I'll get for the front. I'll search the posts for opinions on those sizes and maybe other manufactors.

Back