Shotgun - Quick ? on process

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Glenn

Reaction score
Thanks for looking in - I'm trying to clean up my carbs with the "Shotgun method" and wanted to ask how many times is recommended to shoot carb cleaner and air etc per carb? Is air pressure important? - I turned it down to 60 psi to shoot down PAJ 1 and 2. The idle mixture screw was full of rust around the spring - definitley on the right track. Is there a reason not to shoot carb cleaner and air in all ports instead of the way it is described? I was thinking of following up w/ the "Pea shooter method" next if that might do some good after the "Shotgun"?

I would start with the peashooter as it's easier...just need to remove top cover and top of air box off. 60 psi should be okay for shotgun, I haven't done it in awhile. Carb cleaner in all the PAJ's, bleeds should be fine.

I ran a whole large can of carb cleaner through my carbs and hosed the heck out of them, probally overkill, but the shotgun worked wonders for my Max!........I tied two straws together with a small vacuum fitting to help me hold the can upright when applying from the top, I used 100psi air pressure with no ill effects, good luck!........................Tom.

NOT ADVISABLE TO SHOOT CARB CLEANER WILLY NILLY THROUGHOUT ALL ACCESSABLE CARB PORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can damage the coasting enrichener diaphrams with carb cleaner. The Max won't run worth a ch1tt if these are damaged and the bitty pieces begin to make their way throughout your carbs. Don't ask me how I know this, and I believe they are now around $40.00 per carb + you will have to pull the carbs to replace them.

I'd stick with the PAJ1 & PAJ2 orifaces as indicated in the "how to" threads on this board and no more.

Thanks - the directions I have on the "Shotgun" from lvlhead's Vmax say spray only air in the PAJ's and spray carb cleaner in the Main air jet bleeds and carb mixture screw opening. Stick to that?....or as in a few of these replies shoot carb cleaner in PAJ's? Thanks for the help - trying not to make it run worse than it already is!

Let me clarify, I too followed the same instructions from that website, I just kept going until I emptied the can........................Tom.

Thanks Tom - I think I've got that one handled but found my next problem just as quick. Found a partially stripped idle screw and before I could stop myself - it is completely stripped. I don't believe it ever turned so I'm not sure where I'm at w/ it but soon as I get the tank sealed and put everything back together -- I hope she'll fire up and be ok. If not, I know and going to need some help on figuring out how to remove that **** screw! The partial strip had to be done prior to my 13 years and the bike has always ran great so I guess it was either in the right spot or doesn't matter that much? Thanks again

Shotgun and pea shooter worked good for me. Another tip though. Cover your bike well to protect it from any carb cleaner that may squirt or splash. I got some on the tach and side cover, it ate into the plastic and paint.

Back