Slave swap gone bad

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny5

Reaction score
I have the worst luck.

I pulled the slave out of my 86, it had a rip in the seal. No big deal, I have an 85 project I can rob one out of....

I pulled the middle gear cover only to find this torx type broken star piece.
It looks like it was sheared off/broken. It was floating in the small amount of oil that came out when i pulled the cover.
Does anybody have a clue to what it is?:ummm:

I continued pulling the 85 slave to find it was in excellent shape. Good deal. I didn't jack up the gasket taking the cover off so...good slave, good gasket, no money spent.:clapping:

I installed the good looking slave into my 86. Easy money. I put the cover on and started tightening the bolts...SNAP!!! Broken bolt.:bang head:

The bolt wasn't even snug against the cover yet...and yes, it was in the right spot. :confused2:

What is the best/easiet way to remove the broken bolt in the case? No part of the bolt is exposed. I tried to take a pic but you couldn't see it, bad pic.

Any help would be much appreciated.

J5

Attachments

• bolt-star.JPG
    bolt-star.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 32
I have the worst luck.

I pulled the slave out of my 86, it had a rip in the seal. No big deal, I have an 85 project I can rob one out of....

I pulled the middle gear cover only to find this torx type broken star piece.
It looks like it was sheared off/broken. It was floating in the small amount of oil that came out when i pulled the cover.
Does anybody have a clue to what it is?:ummm:

I continued pulling the 85 slave to find it was in excellent shape. Good deal. I didn't jack up the gasket taking the cover off so...good slave, good gasket, no money spent.:clapping:

I installed the good looking slave into my 86. Easy money. I put the cover on and started tightening the bolts...SNAP!!! Broken bolt.:bang head:

The bolt wasn't even snug against the cover yet...and yes, it was in the right spot. :confused2:

What is the best/easiet way to remove the broken bolt in the case? No part of the bolt is exposed. I tried to take a pic but you couldn't see it, bad pic.

Any help would be much appreciated.

J5

Have you taken the cover back off to see if any is sticking out?
If yes get a vice grip on it. Twist it out.

If not you can try to center punch dead center on the broke bolt.
Use a reverse drill bit smaller than the bolt and drill a hole. Make sure you are straight in. While drilling this may spin it out. If not use an easy out.
What ever you do don't break off the easy out!!! (You can also use a regular bit and the easy out.) Drill the proper size hole for the easy out.
Or take to the nearest machine shop and let a pro get it out for you.
Grant

Grant

I have never had any luck with easy outs but I guess I will try again.

Any clue where the metal star piece floating around the oil came from?

The star piece looks like a chunk of broken drive bit that may have broken off when the tightened the 4 bolts holding the middle gear bearing in place. Probably broken thier bit and couldn't get the chunk out and just left it in there.

Sean

Thanks Sean, sounds resonable. Hopefully I won't find any more crap in there.

I figured out the mystery of why my bolt broke off. I'm a RETARD!

In my mad dash to throw the parts on the bike and be done with it, I put ALL the cover bolts on and went to tightening them with my impact gun of an arm. I forgot to put the shifter on with the 2 longer bolts and of course one bottomed out and snapped. I am a retard. :bang head:

I still need to remove the broken bolt and buy a new gasket because I jacked that up too after snapping the bolt off.

Retard out.

Thanks Sean, sounds resonable. Hopefully I won't find any more crap in there.

I figured out the mystery of why my bolt broke off. I'm a RETARD!

In my mad dash to throw the parts on the bike and be done with it, I put ALL the cover bolts on and went to tightening them with my impact gun of an arm. I forgot to put the shifter on with the 2 longer bolts and of course one bottomed out and snapped. I am a retard. :bang head:

I still need to remove the broken bolt and buy a new gasket because I jacked that up too after snapping the bolt off.

Retard out.

This sounds so much like something I would do it is not funny.....

Thank you for letting me learn from your experience.....and I hope it all works out easily:eusa_dance:

Latest posts

Back