Slow engine turnover

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAXTSA

Reaction score
Hi
Yesterday I tried to fire up the V-max after it has been standing for quite some time. The battery was on a maintainance charger and is in good shape (or so I think).
The problem is that the motor is turning over very very slowly. So I hooked up a second new battery but this did not even make much difference. Took the spark plugs out sprayed some WD 40 in the cylinders and spinned the motor without the plugs, no problem. It seems that the motor turned over ok, not too fast but it is at least turning.
She eventually fired up after I put the plugs back, once, with luck but with my lack of attention died again (I did not work the choke my fault) and then could not get her to fire up again due to the starter not being able to turn the motor over.
I think the battery is fine, so my question is can it be the starter motor? What goes wrong with starters when standing? Could it be the starter clutch not releasing? If so would I have been able to turn it without the plugs? She is an 89 model never had any issues with it in the 12 years of owning it.
How will I know what is actually causing this issue?

Sounds like a bad starter. 90 and up had improved starters. You can try and take yours apart and clean up the contacts. There are a few threads on here with that info.

Sean

Sounds like what mine was doing before a starter rebuild, but I'm not sure how to check without taking it apart. Guide HERE

I was hoping it may be the starter , do not have the energy to tackle the flywheel !!

Out of interest, what would the symptoms be if it was the starter clutch acting up?

Box of rocks rolling around and or a free wheeling starter.

Sean

So....... last night I took the starter out cleaned it, checked the contacts, all looks good..... Spinned up nicely outside the bike..... put it back..... nope no change.... Still does not want turn the engine over. Putting power directly to the starter (from the fresh battery) also makes no difference... guess I can safely say that I also think the starter has seen better days and needs to be replaced.

Does all years fit ?

All years fit but you want a 90 or newer. You haven't changed or taken off the stator cover recently have you? If not then proceed with a replacement starter.

Sean

So....... last night I took the starter out cleaned it, checked the contacts, all looks good..... Spinned up nicely outside the bike..... put it back..... nope no change.... Still does not want turn the engine over. Putting power directly to the starter (from the fresh battery) also makes no difference... guess I can safely say that I also think the starter has seen better days and needs to be replaced.

Does all years fit ?

Define "cleaned it".

Also, how did the brushes look?

Did you slightly bend the brush plate locating tabs for better internal grounding before you reassembled it?

If all the connections are clean and good, the brushes are in good shape, and it spins freely, there's really not much else that can be wrong in that starter. (I'm thinking you'd hear the bearings if they were going south) Sure- the newer, 4 brush starters would be stronger, but...I'm curious why this starter still refuses to turn over your engine properly. Just curious. :ummm:

If you have a volt meter you and a buddy could check to see if you are getting a full 12v at the starter terminal.

I do have starters but very low on used 4 brush starters. I'd sell you a good early starter for $50 and shipping,

Sean

My VMAX struggles to start when hot. When cold or after it cools a bit it cranks strong. Yesterday I stopped at the store on my way home and when I went to start up my bike it sounded like the starter did not engage, kind of like "box of rocks rolling around" that Sean described. The second attempt it turned over, although slow and fired up. My Vmax is '94 so it should have the later 4 brush starter. Do these 4 brush starters also need to be cleaned? Or is this "box of rocks" sound some other problem?

The box of rocks is the starter clutch going bad (or already bad) and could be binding up the starter. Likely the hard starting put an extra load on the clutch and cracked it. You may need to clean the starter (internally) and repair or replace the starter clutch (it could simply be loose bolts too).

Sean

Thanks Sean, how does the starter clutch come off? With a puller or does it slide off?

just tighten the bolt back up. i did it a few months ago on a buddys vmax. gotta hold it with another wrench while tightening it to spec

Cool, thanks for the info Garrett. Did you replace the starter clutch assembly or did you service it ?

Back