slow motion turn over...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Reaction score
the '85 project bike is turning over....sloooooowwwlllly.. very very very slowly.... gotta bump the starter to get past the compresson stroke. I had the strator cover off recently and I saw another post on this where sean said "if you havnt had the strator cover off recently, proceede with starter replacement"...... could someone elaborate on this the strator cover seems like a straight forward bolt it on, cant f-it-up operation but apparently there is a way to do just that... would like to eliminate that as a possiblility before moving on.

I was given a loaner odessey battery and have it in the max fully charged, I also tried jumping by placing charge on the two posts on the starter relay between the coils, same result.

:ummm: Bacchus, did you put a new gasket on the stator cover when you installed it? If not the fit is too tight and the starter will drag. Good luck, Spurs

the old gasket did not appear damaged and I re-used it

:punk: Did it turn over slowly before you removed the stator cover? I have never re- used a gasket on the side covers so I can't say for sure but I have heard people on this site say the starter will turn slowly with old gasket. When you do buy new gaskets get two or three sets at a time as shipping is what costs the most, and the time waiting for new gaskets sucks. Spurs

just got this '85 garage find, never turned it over prior.... no idea if anything changed.... still in the "figure out what your up against" stage of this project.

If the battery is known good and jumping right to the starter doesn't help, chances are the old 2-brush starter isn't doing so well. I think they can be rebuilt, but it might be a better idea to get a more modern 4-brush style, Yamaha updated it after a couple years due to hot start problems since the 2-brush was very marginal torque wise.

I skipped a gasket on mine and used black RTV....mine spins as strong as ever afterward. The trick is to NOT tighten it right away and squeeze all the stuff out. Apply a bead to BOTH sides, then just put the cover in place...the flywheel's magnetism will just hold it in place. Wait a full 24 hours(assuming warm weather), then tighten the bolts and refill with oil. You also need to be very sure ALL the oil is cleaned off the surfaces and covers, so that no oil will drip into the silicone as it dries...the oil will prevent it from curing right IME.

I suppose if the re-used gasket isn't leaking no reason to worry, on my '97 all the side cover gaskets ripped to shreds pulling the covers off. Bitch to scrape it all off.

I'm not sure if you could just put the gears/axles in place without the side cover on and try cranking it so see if it spins better.

Welcome to the wonderful world of a Vmax electrical system....if you want to knock out all the problems off the bat, get a new HD stator from Rick's Electrics, a new style MOSFET regulator/rectifier off pretty much any Japanese sportbike(mine came off a ZX10...similar to the R1's a lot of people here use, but with much smaller fins), and eliminate all the harness connectors. Wire the stator directly to the r/r, and the r/r directly to the + and - posts of the battery. Stators are tricky to test, since sometimes they will only short under load(as mine did). It tested okay with an ohmmeter within spec and was putting out decent VAC, but my running voltage was still like 12.5 volts. New stator, now I have 14.4, so there was an issue.

I have a good starter of a 2005 Vmax if needed. I thought I was going to need it but the Sears Die Hard Battery did the trick.

rick rash

Do you still have that starter? I could really use it. Brand new battery, and had everything checked. Still hard to turn over.

Latest posts

Back