Smoke from Exhaust on Startup

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick78

Reaction score
I've noticed that when I start my bike up there's always smoke from the exhaust for the first few seconds of it running. It usually comes more from the can on the left side of the bike and I'm assuming that may have to do with it leaning on the kickstand on that side when parked.

The bike can sit for a couple weeks at a time between rides so that may have something to do with it as well.

Guess I'm just trying to see if anyone knows what the reason might be that my bike does this?

I think it's pretty typical of Gen I's. Both of mine will smoke for a few seconds at start up.. Choke being on and cold engine.. With warm engines, if it takes a few turns to start, that initial mixture is a little rich and will do the same..

Its definitely smoke and does only do it when cold with the choke on. Once its been started for the day or even if ridden a few days in a row it won't do it. Only when its been sitting for a while and a cold start.

Do you have any oil consumption between oil changes ? How many miles on engine. White smoke is usually steam , blue is oil . I notice white smoke sometimes when the temps are a little cool outside.

I guess I would say it is white. Its definitely not blue at all. And no oil comsumption that I can tell.

if its not thick white with coolant smell and it goes away after a few mins then id say its the normal moisture coming out during start up until pipes get up to temp.

no worries man

if its not thick white with coolant smell and it goes away after a few mins then id say its the normal moisture coming out during start up until pipes get up to temp.

no worries man

Like I said, it's steam from condensation that builds up in the headers/collector when the bike sits overnight. Warms up and stops once the bike has been warmed up for the days riding. Nothing to worry about, would worry if it was continuous.

Back