Snapped Stud

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordie

Reaction score
Since I got the bike it's had a broken stud at exhaust to rear cylinder...engine out job soon...

Last edited:
Did it snap off flush? Or if not, how much is sticking out? The stud is steel and the head aluminum, so heat really helps. Not a bad idea to use a little heat on the nuts if they don't come right off. I know it's after the fact. I'll wait for the pic.
Steve-o

You can sometimes have a reverse-thread drill bit 'walk-out' the stud piece, just from the drilling. Use heat and penetrating oil, I like PB Blaster, but the home-made acetone/ATF is supposed to also work well. I use brief heat from an acetylene torch, no O2. I actually have a plumber's set which is a straight acetylene supply only, but I also have a O2/acetylene 'gas-ax' for cutting & brazing.

The little 1 lb Mapp gas/oxygen set ups work great for heating small areas. Home Depot has them for around $50. Some of the studs don't have decent access. Good luck with it.

Steve-o there is not one orange building in Glasgow Scotland- I can assure you.They are all black or green.

Steve-o , I love the way you think---I have spent 1 1/2 years in Scotland and believe me colors would for some reason help.
I am soooo greatfull Geordie has a Vmax there.
I can't wait to meet him and get back there and kudos to you too for your ways of thinking.

Latest posts

Back