So, was the wait worth it?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not surprised by the price, it's an awsome looking bike IMO and the little details make it even better. I still won't be getting one, I jumped in with both feet on the 04' and it's all I need, but if I win the lotto tomorrow I'll probably go buy about four other bikes and the gen2 would be the first on the list.

Too early to tell for me... I want to see some 1/4 mile times/speeds and talk to a few guys that have actually been on them with a few miles on it. It looks like it is going to be a sweet ride, with plenty of mods to create more power. I don't know if you guys have seen pictures of the full exhaust, but I bet you will be able to loose a good 20 to 30 pounds with an aftermarket setup. Maybe I should call Kerker/Supertrapp and see if they have started working on one yet??????

Here is a good link Adrien already posted with good pics of the bike, some parts, and aftermarket components:

http://mototribu.com/constructeur/yamaha/2008/vmax/wallpaper/index.html

Attachments

• 0095-yamaha-vmax2009-095.jpg
    0095-yamaha-vmax2009-095.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 12
I'm wondering about the possibility of buying a 2nd Gen 'long block', complete w/heads & valve covers, and fitting the 1st Gen carbs to it, installed in a 1st Gen frame... More than anything, I'd sure like to have that 6th gear...and the extra CC's would be 'exciting'... But I truely would rather keep my 1st gen... all kinds of reasons why...

"BTW- I won't give my opinion on all the nay-sayer, cry-baby, nit-picker, Wal-Mart price mentality riders on here......
icon_rolleyes.gif
"

Mr Backfire, I'll give you my opinion on that comment...as a regular walmart shopper and a person with a pretty limited income, I find your comment pretty much bullshit... another example of the fuckedup spoiled brat attitude of some people with more money then common sense and decent manners... "Don't care what it costs...just gimme one!" FOADMF'er!

Philthy

Now now guys lets not fight.
It really is nasty to put someone down just because they don't make as much money as you might.
To me, I don't care how much people make, it's all about how you treat others.
I live from paycheck to paycheck so I live on a budget. If someone wants to put me down for that, then the hell with them, because even though I don't have a lot of cash to blow, I would give my shirt off my back for a friend or person who treats me with respect as a person. So it's their loss.

As for the New VMax being too much money. It all boils down to what your priorities are in life. Some of us will pass on it because they don't want to spend that much. Others will find a way to pay for it! It's a personal choice.
But there is no reason to put others down.

<steps down off of soap box> :doh:

Was it worth the wait? NO! I personally have waited almost 16 years I'm not impressed!!

Now Suzuki on the other hand is kicking some serious ass!

They[Yamaha] put out a bike that doesn't quite slaughter the competition load it up with all sorts of crap that purist don't want, put a high price tag on it, then expect the purists to adopt it as their own? What I'm trying to say is I don't like the Mono swing arm I could give a rats ass about handling I wanted something that put the Busa bake in the stone age!!!

As I said they missed their mark,what mark that is I could not even begin to tell you?

Kind of where I'm going with this.

My folks are very well off, and I've had to work my ass for for everything (however little that is now) I have. I made double the money I did at 22 than I do at going on 26 next week, and have seen ups and downs. I've been brought up with manners and to have respect of people for who they are, not what assets they have.

I don't own a big business, I don't drive a fancy car now that I'm trying to get a business started, and I don't own a fancy house as I'm working on getting a bigger house for myself, my wife, and our 5 month old son.

For somebody to call out people for having a "Wal-Mart price mentality" is a little BS, when we all are supposed to share a common interest, of not only the V-Max, but motorcycle riding in general, and some of us just the passion for anything with a dino-fuel burning engine and wheels. I don't get the segregation and probably never will.

If that's truley how you feel, that money has to do with passion and the quality of people, that's fine, but you've missed the point in this website, life, and I don't feel the need to respond to any more garbage like that. If I've taken it the wrong way, then I apologize.

I think we just found our new President and Vice Prez..... 82ndCowboy and Quarterhorse.... you guys got my vote! Now just get Obama out of the picture and we'll be set...

ending thread hi-jacking.....

I'm wondering about the possibility of buying a 2nd Gen 'long block', complete w/heads & valve covers, and fitting the 1st Gen carbs to it, installed in a 1st Gen frame... More than anything, I'd sure like to have that 6th gear...and the extra CC's would be 'exciting'... But I truely would rather keep my 1st gen... all kinds of reasons why...

"BTW- I won't give my opinion on all the nay-sayer, cry-baby, nit-picker, Wal-Mart price mentality riders on here......
icon_rolleyes.gif
"

Mr Backfire, I'll give you my opinion on that comment...as a regular walmart shopper and a person with a pretty limited income, I find your comment pretty much bullshit... another example of the fuckedup spoiled brat attitude of some people with more money then common sense and decent manners... "Don't care what it costs...just gimme one!" FOADMF'er!

Philthy

You can kiss my ass moron and for your un-informed and stupid mentality's information- I'm a full grown adult of 36 years that has earned everything I have today, where *NOTHING* was given to me ever in my life! I built my successful engine building business from nothing 7 years ago, with my own money from an idea on blank sheet of paper where everyone I talked to was negative, saying "it couldn't be done" and that I would "fail". Well, I finished College (which I also paid for in full myself) earned my mechanical engineering degree on my own and made a success of myself and my business.

I have nothing to prove to anyone, especially to a dickhead like yourself and I am most certainly not going to apologize for the success and wealth I have now that I *EARNED* on my own!

How many other guys have the balls to quit their paying jobs to venture out on their own? That's right, hardley any, because they would just rather suck the tit of someone else to support them, than forge their own way in life on their own like I have. Now I have no issue with that in any capacity, as I worked for many people over the years myself, so to each his own- but I'm also not knocking them like you're knocking me, just because I done well for myself and support my family, as well as 7 other familys' livelihoods here with my business.

If you can't afford the bike, than fine- I can...so what? However, give the bike a chance first before you knock the thing with negativism, when you've not even seen, rode or heard one first-hand for yourself to pass such negative judgement on it. I can't stand negative people and to those that say it can't be done, this - that whatever, I say move over then, because I'm doing it anyway and I'll be the first to give the bike negative cracks if I see it has any, but only ***AFTER*** I've had a chance to see it/ride it first hand ***FIRST***.

Jerk...

- john

Now now guys lets not fight.
It really is nasty to put someone down just because they don't make as much money as you might.
To me, I don't care how much people make, it's all about how you treat others.
I live from paycheck to paycheck so I live on a budget. If someone wants to put me down for that, then the hell with them, because even though I don't have a lot of cash to blow, I would give my shirt off my back for a friend or person who treats me with respect as a person. So it's their loss.

As for the New VMax being too much money. It all boils down to what your priorities are in life. Some of us will pass on it because they don't want to spend that much. Others will find a way to pay for it! It's a personal choice.

Well said. :)

Is anyone other than me shocked/disappointed that it has a 5 speed trans instead of a 6 speed?

Kind of where I'm going with this.

My folks are very well off, and I've had to work my ass for for everything (however little that is now) I have. I made double the money I did at 22 than I do at going on 26 next week, and have seen ups and downs. I've been brought up with manners and to have respect of people for who they are, not what assets they have.

I don't own a big business, I don't drive a fancy car now that I'm trying to get a business started, and I don't own a fancy house as I'm working on getting a bigger house for myself, my wife, and our 5 month old son.

For somebody to call out people for having a "Wal-Mart price mentality" is a little BS, when we all are supposed to share a common interest, of not only the V-Max, but motorcycle riding in general, and some of us just the passion for anything with a dino-fuel burning engine and wheels. I don't get the segregation and probably never will.

If that's truley how you feel, that money has to do with passion and the quality of people, that's fine, but you've missed the point in this website, life, and I don't feel the need to respond to any more garbage like that. If I've taken it the wrong way, then I apologize.

No, you have missed my point, but no worries- it's all good. I made the Wal-Mart comment, because those folks who can't afford the bike here for whatever reason, decide to "validate" their negative statements about this bike (or anything else for that matter) by bashing the thing to oblivian before they even seen the thing first-hand, so they constantly scream and cry, "it's too expensive" as a result.

It is a damn expensive bike and whether you're riding a pricey Harley or this VMAX that costs this much, give credit where credit is due, until you've had the opportunity to ride one for yourself to make the decision etheir way if it's worth it or not. Opinions are like assholes as they say...even un-informed stupid ones........

I for one think the bike looks to be very well engineered and from my only experience in seeing it online (just like you guys) I don't have anything negative to judge it from. Now if I ride this thing and it's a turd, well then I'll be the first to come on here and say it a POS, but I'll at least of had the common decency and personal courtesy to wait to pass negative judgement on the thing ***AFTER*** I saw it first hand- price included.

It seems everyone is only bashing the thing this hard because it's out of their price range and that pisses them off. I mean, it is *REALLY* that big of deal if the headlite isn't to your liking, the gas tank isn't big enough, the scoops look stupid, blah, blah, blah of other stupid stuff?? I'll bet no one would be nit-pick bitching about that little stuff if the bike was 12k now would they? No, they would buy the bike and "live" with the issues, just like they've done with the Gen 1 bike to date. I didn't see anyone bitching about the 2007, 22 year old Gen 1 bike design they bought that had so many problems with chassis, brakes, electrical over the years now did they??? No...... So, to make themselves feel better, they knock the new bike in every way they can to validate their un-informed claims. Now *THAT* is simple minded bullshit!

I love my bike now- even with it's issues and I'd buy it again if I could. However, the new bike seems to be built with all the improvements and upgrades that everyone has been crying to Yamaha about for years. So now that it's here and it's not what some would like to pay for those improvements, they cry anyway. As they say, you'll never please everyone no matter what you do, because there will always be negative folks everywhere you go and I think Yamaha has already factored that in with the development of this bike. Good for them. ;)

BTW- We shop at Wal-Mart too, but I don't expect much from them either..

- john

Everyone was all gung ho about the bike before seeing the price tag and the limited edition garbage. Star's marketing guru's have screwed this moment up for many of us that had dreams of owning this bike one day after years of waiting.

Star from my dealing with them in the past was the worst customer service experience Ive ever had! bar none!! [lasting a month, I gave up on my issue]so if you think they are capable of getting "anything" right FAT CHANCE!! just a bunch of extremely, stupid, young idiots[No Joke!!!]

I even spoke to corperate they were worse!!!

I have to agree with the general consensus here. I was amped up for the release of this bike until I saw the price tag , the weight and the speed limiter . The last of which I'm sure can be fixed . 18k is just ridiculous though I'll bet they don't sell out as quickly as they think they will . I'm gonna need to see one and fall in love with it Like I did my 05 before I lay that kinda cash down. But I'll say one thing if that sucker can be tuned back to 295hp I'm there regardless of price

Does anyone think maybe it's limited edition in case of any issues that would require a recall? It is completely new from the grd up. Not many bikes like that these days. Is 18000 alot, yes, however it is in V-rod price territory(when you option one out a little). And you get WAY more for your money. I'm sure we all know technology isn't cheap. Do I wish it was cheaper, yes. Would I buy one right now, No. I want to see writeups on how this bike actually performs and rides. Alot of us are furtunate that the vmax has been around for so long so you can get a great deal on an older one and have basically the same bike. I only paid $5000 for my 1998. Funny thing is when I think about it, Ufo Exhaust $900, sissy bar and luggage rack $350, engine guards $120, corbin seat:( $350, radial tires $350, 18 inch rear wheel $700, galfer brake and clutch lines $150, Fatmax hard bags $800, hotgrips $150, tboost $50, dynojet stage 1 $100, K&N $50, prgressive rear shocks $120, progressive front springs, emulators and fork seals and oil $250, wider handlebars $30. That's $9470 + all of my labor to install it. And I bet I am not alone. We all spend it, just not all at once. THey ever have special financing for the bike.

But I'll say one thing if that sucker can be tuned back to 295hp I'm there regardless of price

Wasn't the 295hp potential with the 1800cc motor? I'm sure this motor can be tweaked for more hp but not 295 with the exception (maybe) of a supercharger or nitrous. Correct me if I'm wrong!

I have to agree with the general consensus here. I was amped up for the release of this bike until I saw the price tag , the weight and the speed limiter . The last of which I'm sure can be fixed . 18k is just ridiculous though I'll bet they don't sell out as quickly as they think they will . I'm gonna need to see one and fall in love with it Like I did my 05 before I lay that kinda cash down. But I'll say one thing if that sucker can be tuned back to 295hp I'm there regardless of price

The motor that was pulling 295 on the dyno was the 1800cc they chose not to use it because it would make the wheelbase longer and hinder handling a little[don't get me started] It sounds like Horseshitamungo!!! Hey is that Japanese?

Wasn't the 295hp potential with the 1800cc motor? I'm sure this motor can be tweaked for more hp but not 295 with the exception (maybe) of a supercharger or nitrous. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Correct, that was on the Need 6 website. Bill Warner asked a tech at the unveilling about that. The tech asked where he heard that?

No, you have missed my point, but no worries- it's all good. I made the Wal-Mart comment, because those folks who can't afford the bike here for whatever reason, decide to "validate" their negative statements about this bike (or anything else for that matter) by bashing the thing to oblivian before they even seen the thing first-hand, so they constantly scream and cry, "it's too expensive" as a result.

It is a damn expensive bike and whether you're riding a pricey Harley or this VMAX that costs this much, give credit where credit is due, until you've had the opportunity to ride one for yourself to make the decision etheir way if it's worth it or not. Opinions are like assholes as they say...even un-informed stupid ones........

I for one think the bike looks to be very well engineered and from my only experience in seeing it online (just like you guys) I don't have anything negative to judge it from. Now if I ride this thing and it's a turd, well then I'll be the first to come on here and say it a POS, but I'll at least of had the common decency and personal courtesy to wait to pass negative judgement on the thing ***AFTER*** I saw it first hand- price included.

It seems everyone is only bashing the thing this hard because it's out of their price range and that pisses them off. I mean, it is *REALLY* that big of deal if the headlite isn't to your liking, the gas tank isn't big enough, the scoops look stupid, blah, blah, blah of other stupid stuff?? I'll bet no one would be nit-pick bitching about that little stuff if the bike was 12k now would they? No, they would buy the bike and "live" with the issues, just like they've done with the Gen 1 bike to date. I didn't see anyone bitching about the 2007, 22 year old Gen 1 bike design they bought that had so many problems with chassis, brakes, electrical over the years now did they??? No...... So, to make themselves feel better, they knock the new bike in every way they can to validate their un-informed claims. Now *THAT* is simple minded bullshit!

I love my bike now- even with it's issues and I'd buy it again if I could. However, the new bike seems to be built with all the improvements and upgrades that everyone has been crying to Yamaha about for years. So now that it's here and it's not what some would like to pay for those improvements, they cry anyway. As they say, you'll never please everyone no matter what you do, because there will always be negative folks everywhere you go and I think Yamaha has already factored that in with the development of this bike. Good for them. ;)

BTW- We shop at Wal-Mart too, but I don't expect much from them either..

- john

For starters, and I'm not singling you out John, as I know there has been others doing it, enough of the insults and mud slinging at each other or this thread ends. For those of you getting overly emotional about what is being posted, the thread was asking for people's OPINIONS of whether the wait was worth it TO THEM. So , in other words, there is NO WRONG ANSWER. Saying it is too expensive, they don't like the headlight, not enough HP are all VALID answers. Rather than brow beat each others post, why not post how you feel about it.
Thank you for your time. :cheers:

Back