Sorry comrads. Vmax last straw

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREEN light BLITZ

Reaction score
Well folks after a long ride I took off from a stop light and at the next light I got really harsh clatter that sounds almost like a rod knock. I've yet to investigate and fully diagnose the issue but it may be terminal.

I think its time to put down a loan on a newer bike but my Max is my only bargaining chip for a down. So which way do we think she's worth the most,sell the thing as is,parted out, or as a trade in?

Parted out is the most work/money. Just depends on how much effort you want to put in to getting rid of it.

Well they wont give you much for a trade in with a bad motor. While parting it out would require a lot of effort, it would also give you the highest payback.

Maybe a good used motor is the answer.

Sorry to hear you bike is broken.
Regards,
R

I found a doner bike for 2,500$ but that's well beyond my budget, and here in SoCal finding Vmax motors is HARD. If you call the local salvage yard they will tell you they have NO parts before you finish your sentence as soon as you say vmax

Parting out will give the most payback but also a lot of work, and takes a long time. You also have to sit on all the parts in the meantime, though with the aid of this forum I imagine you could move a lot of the more valuable parts pretty quickly.

You can try to sell it as-is, but you'll take a bath on the price. I doubt any dealers would even want it for a trade-in. For an '85 with a knocking motor I honestly would be surprised if you got a grand from it, regardless of how nice it looks.

You can talk to Sean and see if he has any motors around that might fit in your budget but it sounds like you're already got your eye on a new bike.

I just had the motor apart a few hundred miles ago and now this. Last time I had it open it took me 6 months to get it back together while I budgeted in new parts and time. And that was a small repair. This is a full overhaul at this point. I can't even get it to turn over now.

eBay. I have purchased engines from pinwall before and didn't have any problems. You might check your starter drive.

Part it out. Best money by far. Then you can look at buying another bike!
Dakota, naughtyG is right. If you can't affored a used motor from penwall. The only option is to part it out to get the most $$ as possible. I saw your Vmax at Hells Kitchen a couple of years ago. It was really nice, photos of your bike are still in the VMF archive's in ride's & hookups.:biglaugh:

Back