Speedometer drive with 17" wheels...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinmax

Reaction score
Anyone here know much about changing the speedometer drive on the front wheel when going to a 17 incher? I heard that a YZF1000 drive works to correct the speedometer error when switching to low profile 17" wheel on a Vmax. How much error is there if you don't switch? Basically I want to know what is the speedometer reading difference with the YZF drive as opposed to stock.

Thanks,
Vin

Boxxenstop sell the correct one for that wheel for about $2 higher than Yamaha. $53?? I think.

I ordered what I was told was the correct (mid 90's FZ600) one direct from yamaha and it was identical but the hole in the housing was too small for my axle. I ended up pulling the gears out and installing them in my old housing.

It's much more accurate than the stock setup with a 17" wheel. I'm actually running an 18" with a 120/70-18 and it overreads by about 2% which is pretty decent I think....

Rusty

Anyone here know much about changing the speedometer drive on the front wheel when going to a 17 incher? I heard that a YZF1000 drive works to correct the speedometer error when switching to low profile 17" wheel on a Vmax. How much error is there if you don't switch? Basically I want to know what is the speedometer reading difference with the YZF drive as opposed to stock.

Thanks,
Vin

I just did a bunch of research on this. The 97 YZF 1000 is not the right one for the vmax. I have that wheel, it has a 22mm inside diameter bearing which fits the R1 axle. The vmax axle is 17mm. I just bought this wheel. I have it in hand so i know this for a fact.
Im not sure what yzf 600 speedo drive the other poster purchased. But I have a 98 YZF 600 wheel it has a 17mm inside diameter bearing which is the same size as the vmax. Therefore the speedo drive for the YZF 600 should work. Did you buy the fzr 600 speedo??
Also you guys looking to do these mods, DO NOT GO BY THE YAMMY MICROFICHE, IT IS WRONG IN REGARDS TO BEARING SIZES.
The micro says the 97-08 YZF 1000/R1 bearings is a 6004 which is a 42/22/12 that is wrong!! the correct size is 44/22/12. i talked to allballsracing bearings they informed me of this and I confirmed it when i got my wheel.

Boxxenstop sell the correct one for that wheel for about $2 higher than Yamaha. $53?? I think.

I ordered what I was told was the correct (mid 90's FZ600) one direct from yamaha and it was identical but the hole in the housing was too small for my axle. I ended up pulling the gears out and installing them in my old housing.

It's much more accurate than the stock setup with a 17" wheel. I'm actually running an 18" with a 120/70-18 and it overreads by about 2% which is pretty decent I think....

Rusty

It is the YZF 600 that is needed not FZ. I have a 98 yzf 600 wheel it has a 17mm axle, same as the max.

Back