st 1300 or concours??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1967vmax

Reaction score
Ok my very good friend is in the market for a new bike he is a true rider and really puts the miles on his 04zrx 1200 has logged 90k at the end of the summer. He is looking at a leftover 08 Honda st 1300 ,13 out the door and the new 10 concours 14 , he cant decide, i figured i put up a post to see if any of you gear heads own 1 of these or know of some problems with the 2 bikes listed. thanks JIM:biglaugh:

A good friend has an 08 Concours 14. Nice bike. Sporty enough to replace his CBR1100XX, but comfy enough to handle the 400 miles he'll put on on a weekend jaunt. The 2010 with K-trac should be a nice ride. The ST is now long in the tooth compared to the 14.

That is true on the ST being dated but it's that way because it was such a well designed bike. For that matter the only other bike with a virtually unchaged engine/style like our Vmax was the Concours prior to the 14. I think he would be very happy with either bike.

Sean

What about the FJR1300? I have friends that have the FJR1300 (3 of them) and one that has the ST1300. My personal preference is the FJR1300. Have no experience with the new Concours.

Yeah he has test drove the fjr and like it to, he thinks he is getting a good deal on the st at 13 but i think it ugly and the v 4 is mounted sideways,making it FAT, The dealer is getting in a 10 concours in march so he wants to ride it as well.

Ok my very good friend is in the market for a new bike he is a true rider and really puts the miles on his 04zrx 1200 has logged 90k at the end of the summer. He is looking at a leftover 08 Honda st 1300 ,13 out the door and the new 10 concours 14 , he cant decide, i figured i put up a post to see if any of you gear heads own 1 of these or know of some problems with the 2 bikes listed. thanks JIM:biglaugh:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1825258/posts

I have rented both. If your friend has a young bone in his body, or if he wants to corner hard and then accelerate like he was less than 70 go Concours 14

I have rented both. If your friend has a young bone in his body, or if he wants to corner hard and then accelerate like he was less than 70 go Concours 14
Did you do any jumping on the ST or Concours? If so how did they compare with your Vmax in the air and what was the attitude of the bike when you landed?:flamethrower:

Your friend likes sportbikes, so I'd tell him that he is too young for a bagger, and just buy a new Ninja 14. That's why I'd do, if he was my friend.

Visual appeal? (subjective opinion of course)

FJ1300

ST1300

New Concours

Best road capabilities (I think most honest road tests would bear this one out)

New Concours

FJ1300

ST1300

The ST and the FJ are known for cooking the shit out of the rider, especially the ST, but I think that was an earleir generation of both bikes as I have heard they have both since addressed this issue.

I fit was me, and consider I never buy new bikes, it would most definetely be an FJR1300, it performs well and is the best looking to me, and I don't say that just because it's a Yamaha. I know the new Concours would smoke the shit out of me tho'

No comparison as the max launches easier. In mid air the Concours is more predictable because of the body work. There is no factory class for jumping any of the sport touring bikes though, so I would only do it for the fun of it

where is he located?

I bought an '08 C14 last Feb. the dealer still has another '08, non ABS
It should be very attractively priced. They gave me a great deal on mine.

Unless he wants the upgrades on the '10

Denny lives up her in Pa close to me he is 58 yrs old, They have a leftover 09 but he had a knee injury and like i said he is a rider so he has to stretch his knee out on long trips and says he cant do it on the 09(to wide) but the faring on the 10 is re designed and the st has a place to put highway pegs,I started this thread to see if there were any flaws on these 2 bikes any one knew about. thanks JIM

So how many 1000 miles do you jump on ypur Max in a year then . :ummm:

Gunrunner,
Are you serious? I wish I could catch a 1000 miles of air time per year but really I might do closer to 100 mile combined. Even working on taking the world record I doubt I will see more than 150 miles in 2010.
On a sport touring machine like the Concours 14 I will be lucky to do 5 miles in flight over the summer, all on public roads of course.

YOU GOTTA LOVE A RENTAL BIKE!

Not to throw a wrench back in here, but since I'm an FJR owner and former Vmax owner, I wanted to step in just a bit.

The first gen FJR's were the cookers. 03'-05', and I happen to have an 05'. In the heat of summer, sitting at a really long light can damn near boil your balls off if you don't make some modifications.

However, GenII's don't have that issue. So anything 06' to current won't roast ya. Also, GenII's have a slightly longer swing arm, adjustable headlights, center vent in the fairing and smoother throttle.

Personally, I like my 05'. Wish I dind't have to give up the Max to get it, would have been a nice pair in the stable, but the wife wanted her own bike and I just didn't have the room for 2 play toys. Either way, if he doesn't like the FJR, go with the Conni. The ST just doesn't really cut it in my book.

We went bike shopping Sat and looks like he going with the St1300,We did look at the 09 and 10 concours (my favorite). but both are nice rides just not 4 me yet, thanks JIM

Back