Starter Clutch Pulling: My Saga

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nakadude

Reaction score
OK, it was an adventure but my '89 had its starter clutch on so tight, I had to resort to extreme means. No amount of heat, air tools, sledge hammering or dirty looks got it to budge :bang head:.
I then resorted to the 12 ton gear puller from Harbor Freight:ummm:. Like a few others on the forum, it took more time grinding the arms down to fit it on to the clutch. 2 hours of grinding later (and burning my index finger in the process - friction causes heat by the way:damn angry:) I got it attached.
The scary part was I couldn't pump the bottle jack hard enough to get it off :ummm:. So I resorted to my handy dandy 5 foot cheater pipe (which gave me plenty of distance from the impending metal projectile). Anyway, four pumps later, BANG! I think I now have the new distance record as my starter clutch flew 4.5 feet from the bike:biglaugh:.
Below are images from the carnage.
Anyway, if anybody near Knoxville, TN needs to borrow my setup, let me know!

Attachments

• 100_3508.jpg
    100_3508.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_3509.jpg
    100_3509.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_3510.jpg
    100_3510.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_3512.jpg
    100_3512.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_3511.jpg
    100_3511.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 57
Well, at least it must have missed your nuts lol (happened to another member a few years back lol).

Sean

4.5 feet! WOAH! That's a lot of energy.

I have to do mine again. Should have used new bolts maybe. I hope it's not cracked.

Wowzer!! A 5' cheater! Sure says a lot for the quality of the HF bottle jack!

If it had been a 3' cheater you might be talking in a high squeeky voice! :rofl_200:

Good going! :punk:

Back