Starter only engaes in Neutral?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxedout

Reaction score
When I drop it into first or any other gear the starter does not engage.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

make sure your kickstand is up, I know it sounds trival but I have made that mistake and seen others, or at least the switch for the kickstand is working.
if so sounds like a bad switch at the clutch

make sure your kickstand is up, I know it sounds trival but I have made that mistake and seen others, or at least the switch for the kickstand is working.
if so sounds like a bad switch at the clutch

The switch is brand new and the stand is up.

Clean the clutch switch. If that doesn't cure it, try bypassing the switch and see if it turns over in gear. In my case, the diode assembly went bad.

I have the same problem. Since upgrading from my '94 to my new 2003, i just thought it was a new "safety" feature (didn't make sense to me but i could start it in N so i didn't mind too much). anyways reading this post quick i went and looked at my clutch switch. Probably from sitting too long before i got it, or whatever, the spring in it doesn't seem to be working so its stuck in. If i pry it back out it starts with the clutch in and in gear so no worries here. some WD-40 might do the trick but for $11 i'll just buy the new switch on my next yamaha order....

once again, this forum rocks!

Latest posts

Back