Stator and pick-up-coils question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

train460

Reaction score
Probably stupid questions buttttt......
On the older maxes, 85-91. they have the 2 pickup coils on the stator. correct?
on the newer bikes 91 and up for the first gen, they have a 1 pickup coil, correct?
what are the benefits on changeing an older bike to the newer pickup system?
I have an 88 with a tweaked frame and have aquired a 95 that i want to convert over. move my engine, skins wheels etc over to the 95 with the bigger forks. now if i keep my 88 stator-pickups etc i then have to move the 88 wiring harness over, with TCI etc. if i remove the pickup system from the 95 to my 88 engine. i then also have to use the 95 wireharness, TCI, etc. So what is the benefit of doing that?
thanks
Michael

In terms of how the motor runs, my guess would be that you wouldn't notice a significant difference.

However, I would have thought it far less hassle to move the stator/ pick-up/cover assembly from the '95 to the '88 rather than removing the loom and ignition unit (+ whatever else I've forgotten) from the '88.

Additionally, there is a market for working early ignition units which you could sell and recoup some of your outlay.

The 85-89 electrical system is almost 100% different then the 90 and up. Your choices are to move the harness with the engine and all the misc electrical components OR, simply swap the flywheel and pickup from the original engine (that matches the chassis) into your replacement engine.

Sean

Latest posts

Back