Stator Configuration....Wye or Delta?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikedave99

Reaction score
So, does anyone know if the Vmax stator is arranged in the wye or delta configuration? Some wiring diagrams have a symbol that would imply it is a wye, but that could just be an outdated symbol. I reading around on stators (since mine might be toast) and found the thread on advrider that Buster posted above. I was a little intrigued that there is a possibility of doing a simple reconfig of the stator to get a fairly significant boost in output. Any ideas?

I don't know about the configuration, but the Rick's replacement stator puts out about 50 watts more than the OEM (400 VS 350)
Also, on their website, they are now advertising a heavy duty replacement for the Max, for $30.00 extra, which put out an additional 30%
Either one of these should be more than sufficient for your bike.
Cheers!

I can't argue with you Miles, and am definitely aware of those options. As a diehard DIYer I always have to ask the question "Could I do that myself?". If I have a fried stator and could rewire it with 20 bucks of wire and epoxy, some patience and some blisters and get 40%-60% more output than stock than I'm tempted. If I have a good stator and can clip a few wires and resolder them and gain the same 40%-60% than I'm interested.

I know you have the same bug... otherwise you would have just bought the $1500+ higher capacity gas tank from Europe instead of making your own expansion! Ha ha, your bike is truly a one of a kind and an inspiration Miles!

I can't argue with you Miles, and am definitely aware of those options. As a diehard DIYer I always have to ask the question "Could I do that myself?". If I have a fried stator and could rewire it with 20 bucks of wire and epoxy, some patience and some blisters and get 40%-60% more output than stock than I'm tempted. If I have a good stator and can clip a few wires and resolder them and gain the same 40%-60% than I'm interested.

I know you have the same bug... otherwise you would have just bought the $1500+ higher capacity gas tank from Europe instead of making your own expansion! Ha ha, your bike is truly a one of a kind and an inspiration Miles!

O.K., NOW I realize the type of mind I'm dealing with! I feel that I've met a long-lost brother! You know me all too well! I repair rather than buy, I fabricate rather than buy, I "repurpose" rather than buy!
Soldier on, Dave, by all means try to repair your stator!
Perhaps we will meet some time!
Cheers!

Unless you have accessories that justify the extra output why do you need to up-rate the alternator?

The additional current will be 'dumped' by the R/R so all you will achieve is a slight loss of power used to to generate it.

Steve, how about when running 100W headlight bulbs? Good for that?

Unless you have accessories that justify the extra output why do you need to up-rate the alternator?

The additional current will be 'dumped' by the R/R so all you will achieve is a slight loss of power used to to generate it.

As I said 'unless you have accessories that justify the extra output'...

I s'pose that if you had all of the lights on + fan + had just started the bike (an unlikely scenario?) the output could be marginal?

That said I would probably try with the OE electrics first though and see if there are any issues.

I have extra lights (3) and GPS. When I run everything at night with the 100w high beam on for any length of time, my Odyssey battery runs down and the bike won't start for a while till the battery recovers. The extra lights use about 125 watts plus I have the rear reflector light and rear running lights for maybe 30 more watts. Can't run all the lights at once... :confused2:

So, does anyone know if the Vmax stator is arranged in the wye or delta configuration? Some wiring diagrams have a symbol that would imply it is a wye, but that could just be an outdated symbol. I reading around on stators (since mine might be toast) and found the thread on advrider that Buster posted above. I was a little intrigued that there is a possibility of doing a simple reconfig of the stator to get a fairly significant boost in output. Any ideas?

Would you post a link to the stator mod?

Gary

From the look of them, my guess would be delta, but at the moment, that is just a guess.

O.K., NOW I realize the type of mind I'm dealing with! I feel that I've met a long-lost brother! You know me all too well! I repair rather than buy, I fabricate rather than buy, I "repurpose" rather than buy!
Soldier on, Dave, by all means try to repair your stator!
Perhaps we will meet some time!
Cheers!

Ha ha, Miles I'm not on your skill level in the least, but it sounds like we do think alike. The mindset has to permeate everything though... when its not the Vmax, its the car or truck, or building my own HT theater speakers and subs or...etc etc etc... I'm a little little limited on garage space right now and dream of a shop with some actual tools!

Personally, with a lot of around town driving and starting and stopping, having a charging system that actually works below 2500rpm would be a plus for me!

Would you post a link to the stator mod?

Gary

Here is the inspirational thread from advrider:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11451134#post11451134

And the Stator Demystified thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189734

I'm running two 100 watt headlamps and it'll idle at 12.7 with them and the fan on, 12.9 without the fan
Anything above idle makes a solid 13.8-14.0 volts.
I've done absolutely everything I can to make the charging system solid but all the components are stock items on a '99
You can also do a headlight kill switch.

Wye or Delta, doesn't matter that much.
One is more efficient at low speed the other at high.
One also requires more engine power to get it turning at lower speeds tho.
Delta can put out more current at less voltage
Star puts out less current at more voltage

Most importantly I think.
For a given coil (or three in our case)
Watts are watts, a function of voltage output and current capacity without overheating.
Changing the configuration will only raise and lower voltage and current in inverse proportion but the total watt capacity stays the same.

In theory you gain nothing because the watts did not change. In the real world you may find that if you can get more current out of a delta while still maintaining adequate voltage then you could be ok. But I've seen more discussion about inadequate voltage to keep the battery charged than I have about a lack of current capacity.
This higher current is also going to be harder on the wiring and R/R.

Keep in mind that power consumed is determined voltage provided and by the impedance of the the load, if a 100 watt resistive headlamp ( that watts is a calculated value using a fixed impedance and an assumed voltage) load is given less voltage it's going to actually draw less current, and not burn as bright.

Back