Stock Exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaIRguy

Reaction score
I probably should post this in the WTB area, but I will try this one out first. This is my first post, but I have been 'lurking' here for a while. Anyway, here goes....I have a need for a set of chrome OEM exhaust for an 85 vmax. Want to take the bike back to stock and need some nice stock exhaust for it. I thought that with all of the mods that you folks do, that a few of you might have some real nice stock pipes laying around. Or, if you yourself don't, maybe you know someone who does. Anyway, I appreciate you guys taking the time to read this and thanks for any/all of the help in advance.
Take care.

I probably should post this in the WTB area, but I will try this one out first. This is my first post, but I have been 'lurking' here for a while. Anyway, here goes....I have a need for a set of chrome OEM exhaust for an 85 vmax. Want to take the bike back to stock and need some nice stock exhaust for it. I thought that with all of the mods that you folks do, that a few of you might have some real nice stock pipes laying around. Or, if you yourself don't, maybe you know someone who does. Anyway, I appreciate you guys taking the time to read this and thanks for any/all of the help in advance.
Take care.

I have a set with 150 unscratched undented miles on them!

450 U.S. plus my cost to ship takes EVERYTHING! I would have to check If I have all the bolts but I think I do. This is for EVERYTHING that the stock exhaust consists of. Keep in mind that after 1985 the exhaust was more restricted as the 1985 didn't meet DOT regs so in '86 they made the V-Boost runners large but packed the exhaust up a bit...:thumbs up:

Cheers,
Chris

Want to take the bike back to stock and need some nice stock exhaust for it.
What exhaust is on it now? I'm looking for aftermarket exhaust and would be willing to trade my stock '85 exhaust for yours, or just make me an offer.

after 1985 the exhaust was more restricted as the 1985 didn't meet DOT regs so in '86 they made the V-Boost runners large but packed the exhaust up a bit...:thumbs up:

hmm...thats interesting....
do you have any idea what the change in diameter of the v-boost runners was?

One of these days im gonna get the heads, valve, and vboost runners all set up on the flow bench and do some work.... seems to be that an open second runner to the port (nearly doubling the flow volume) would be hard to improve on.

hmm...thats interesting....
do you have any idea what the change in diameter of the v-boost runners was?

One of these days im gonna get the heads, valve, and vboost runners all set up on the flow bench and do some work.... seems to be that an open second runner to the port (nearly doubling the flow volume) would be hard to improve on.

This is a VMF link... Here's a shortcut to the page!:banana: http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/vmaxhistory2.htm

"The 1985 Yamaha Vmax had non-DOT approved exhaust canisters. This was corrected on the 1986 model and at the same time, (1986 model) the diameter of the VBoost tubes were increased from 30 mm to 32 mm. Allegedly, this was done in an attempt to make up the difference in the ?loss? of horse power from the exhaust ?correction?. I think it?s important to note right here and now that the rumor of the 1985 Vmax being the fastest model year ever made, is simply not true."

that interesting and a bit odd....so plugging up the exhaust made more power in subsequent years? and pared with the increase in the vboost tube increase...hmm why?... that would only be important at higher revs..where a plugged up exhaust would hurt you even more....curious....

"The 1985 Yamaha Vmax had non-DOT approved exhaust canisters. This was corrected on the 1986 model and at the same time, (1986 model) the diameter of the VBoost tubes were increased from 30 mm to 32 mm. Allegedly, this was done in an attempt to make up the difference in the ?loss? of horse power from the exhaust ?correction?. I think it?s important to note right here and now that the rumor of the 1985 Vmax being the fastest model year ever made, is simply not true."

that interesting and a bit odd....so plugging up the exhaust made more power in subsequent years? and pared with the increase in the vboost tube increase...hmm why?... that would only be important at higher revs..where a plugged up exhaust would hurt you even more....curious....

It doesn't say more! It says that '85 was no different in power output than any other year...:confused2:

well thats true...

But still not quite logical. id say if you did a controlled study of an engine where you baselined and then did a second test that used a more restrictive exhaust and a higher intake flow over 6000 rpm only, the result would be less overall power than base line. certainly less top end....

just a guess on my part.
I suspect there was another issue...but i dont know what.... just thinkin out loud...

well thats true...

But still not quite logical. id say if you did a controlled study of an engine where you baselined and then did a second test that used a more restrictive exhaust and a higher intake flow over 6000 rpm only, the result would be less overall power than base line. certainly less top end....

just a guess on my part.
I suspect there was another issue...but i dont know what.... just thinkin out loud...

Yeah... But how much less restrictive was it really? I may have been just a bit off...:confused2:

i think we all have had the stock exhaust off and in our hands enough times to know theres a lotta pipe in there...plenty of restriction, if indeed flow or back pressure was ever the issue.

Most engines have exhaust problems...when your new at porting for instance, its common practice to spend time on the exhaust side because its harder to fuck up...if all out power is the goal and it dont matter where in the rev band that power hits, then hog it out and put a big pipe only long enough to keep it from burning you (as in top fuel)...

but it dont help if the intake is restricted...a half filled cylinder only burps out half..

I just got an extra set of heads to play with and when i get a sec will play some tunes on them...my guess is 10000rpm, 1200cc = no real restriction in the can if you have a couple of holes drilled....:hmmm:

Back