stock modified mufflers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripinanroarin

Reaction score
I watched this U_Tube video, and thought, yea,its free to do,can change it back if it doesnt work,,..what the heck..lets do it. I did NOT touch the baffles. I drilled the holes slightly larger than the ones in the vid. I LOVE it. Sounds like a nascar when ya "hit it" It has a nice low rumble when at idle.I am super happy.Sounds better than the one in the vid.
Here is the link...http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=clZZ6obsMDw

I did mine with 1/2" holes about a year ago but reinstalled the caps over the holes. Sounds a lot better without them. Probably works as well as most slip on mufflers. I want to make some new caps that open up the 5 larger holes, now I know it'll sound great.

Spec

The idle sounds good. But higher rpm sounded... different. Get a vid of a few pass by's maybe.

How was perfomrance affected?

I almost think I lost power. Is this possible? 2k to 35k seems weaker,..or is it just my imagination?Can drilling just 10 small holes make that kind of difference.Mabey its just me, I dont know. What do you think?

I am the last person to answer a technical question, but I kinda thouught that lessening back-pressure without some sort of compensation thru design, etc, would reduce torque. I definitely dont want that...

Check out my post under Exhaust if you like to hear it.

Low $$ Mod - 115.13 hp/79.43tq The bike runs like a bear......
Sounds better (my opinion) that most slip ons !

Yankee

Attachments

• dyno AF.jpg
    dyno AF.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 33
I agree with ya yankee. I just fired mine up and I will tell ya she sounds good :) I am going to try and get the kids to help me make a video tonight so everyone can hear it rumble!!!

It's got a little rumble !!! And if tinker with the jetting you can get REAL performance. I picked up 10 ponies but more important it made the bike more FUN to drive.

I too am working on a video except I have no children around to HELP me
so it's taking me forever.

Yankee

All of the mods on our stock mufflers may slow down sales of slip-ons. LOL. Now we just need to find a way to reduce the weight at no cost too. :ummm:

I have Five 1/2" holes in each muffler. and a 1/2" hole in the center baffle, without caps. I didn't notice a performance loss with what I've done up to this point.... It Sounds Awesome. I did one run with no caps. Sure felt strong but maybe it was the sound making me think that.

I reinsatlled and spaced the caps off by 1/2" tonight. I think it sounded better with no caps. It seemed to be a more harmonic tone without and kind of a flat tone with them.

I'll try a ride tomorrow or Saturday to decide if I'm leaving the caps or not.

Dave

I have Five 1/2" holes in each muffler. and a 1/2" hole in the center baffle, without caps. I didn't notice a performance loss with what I've done up to this point.... It Sounds Awesome. I did one run with no caps. Sure felt strong but maybe it was the sound making me think that.

I reinsatlled and spaced the caps off by 1/2" tonight. I think it sounded better with no caps. It seemed to be a more harmonic tone without and kind of a flat tone with them.

I'll try a ride tomorrow or Saturday to decide if I'm leaving the caps or not.

Dave
Good plan....be iteresting how it turns out, I'll be watching your posts.

The end caps going back on did make the bike quieter. It really doesn't sound flat with a helmet on and from the seat. I took a short ride, enough to warm the bike up and get into it a couple times. It wasn't enough to convince me one way or another about leaving the end caps on.

I want to do some more riding and check the plugs a couple times. That'll tell me if I want to drill the baffle larger or where to go with the end caps.

As of right now the bike pulls very hard in 3rd so I don't think it's lost any power. It actually felt stronger than it has in a while.

Dave

Hey Grumpy - I have 1/2" holes drilled in mine with the end-caps riveted on with spacers. If you ever want to take it out for a spin, or just compare exhaust sounds, just give me a shout. I'm not too far up the street.

richwrench: I went out and bought a couple sets of plugs today. Took the Max. I have my end caps spaced the same as you. I don't know if you also did a hole in the baffle or not, Mines 1/2". Now I have to decide how much it threw my jetting off. It seems to run fine except at first start up. There's a very flat spot from idle to 2000 RPM. once it warms up it seems to go away. Under load I can't detect any misses. No load, there's always been some pops at 2000 and 3000 RPM steady.

The exhaust didn't sound so bad today either. It feels very strong and I'm hoping that it flows just enough with the exhaust and K&N to make up for the standard stock over rich condition. How is yours doing? We may be on to something.

What I'd really like to try are some grafted Cherry Bombs (Cage Mufflers).
I'd need some wrecked doner pipes though.

You can do the mod yourself. If I can do it anyone can:rofl_200:
Look in the exhaust section under drilling your OEM and I beleive it is post #26 I have step by step picks of how I did mine. It's easy and it sounds awesome compared to stock. Everyone will turn their heads and look at ya driving by including the cops:eusa_dance:

I haven't center-punched my mufflers yet because it's not reversible, but one of these days I'm afraid I'll prolly do it jut because it's quick & easy. I'll be working on something & I'll have a hammer in my hand & glance at the bike & I'll say " Just do it!" LOL There's a chance I may get a severance package from my company this year. If that happens, I'm calling Sean for a Kerker 4-2-1 & a jet kit anyway, so why not bust it open now just to see if I like it? :eusa_dance:

Yup, I had a hammer and a long screwdriver with a sharp edge in hand.

Punched the center of the baffles and twisted the screwdriver with a wrench. Instant 1/2" hole. Made the sound a little better. It really sounded good with the end caps off but I painted them and reinstalled. They really look good. When they get scuffed a little I may pull them back off.

Last edited:
Back