STOCK WHEELS UPGRADE

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighSpeed94

Reaction score
I have searched multiple web sites and called a few manufacturers and hit a dead end, anyone have a good source for oem same size factory wheel replacements to something in chrome and a better design? these oem stock wheels are crap and they cant be polished very well.

Last edited:
Times two, times three, times four what Kyle said. I believe that changing wheels to allow the use of radial tires is the #1 best modification you can make to your motorcycle.

Seana Morley had Carozzeria wheels, expensive but lighter than stock, and good-looking, since that seems to be a primary concern of yours.

There are various ways to get wider wheels, the minimum size for front wheels and radial tires in the 110-18 size we have is 3-1/2". You can use the OEM rim with a 110 radial tire, but the spread of the beads will not be optimal. If you do that, do not go wider! A good size for the rear is an 18" X 5 or 5-1/2" to not cost yourself top-end. A 17" wheel/tire is often used because of the wider selection of rubber. However you will lose a fair amount of your top end. If you value acceleration over top end, then it's not an issue. Just don't be surprised when a stock rims VMax passes you on top end.

Whatever you decide to do, to enter the radial tire realm, don't mix brands or types of rubber! A mistake like that can turn your bike into an evil-handling witch that you won't have any confidence in.

Radial tires from manufacturers have different methods of construction. One may use an oblique angle of ply wrapping (the plies wrapping across the tire are at oblique angles to the belts running around the tire) while another manufacturer uses a different angle for the plies. (a 'zero-angle' ply wrap across the tire is a wrap at 90 degrees to the belts running around the tire circumference). The handling when you 'mix' methods of tire construction can become very unstable.

Are there people who mix tires from different manufacturers? Sure. Are they all unstable? They may not be, but do you want to buy a tire which has that problem when you 'mix' tires? Even the types of rubber can cause problems. A tire which doesn't heat up to operating temperature as quickly as another tire on the bike, will also cause poor handling. That's why it's a good idea to use the same construction type, and the same rubber type, from the same manufacturer.

Again, do people mix manufacturers' products? Yes. Is it a 'death warrant' to do that? It may not be. But why take the chance?

The 5" width at the rear is about the most you can have without having interference with the swingarm. If you want wider, you will need to do a cut-out of the swingarm (called 'notching') to provide adequate space for the wheel/tire.

Last edited:
What Im looking to do is get nice chrome wheels for this and wanted to keep stock size wheel parameters because I like the Dunlop Qualifiers mounted on the oem wheels, Im not looking to go to larger or wider tires (and limited on rear tire width anyway due to the shaft drive) oem wheel 18"in front 15" rear, but finding out there are NO customs made nor cool designs in that size available for the VMax, to go to larger front rim then front fender has to be raised for a 19 to fit? Does the hub have to be different for new style rotors to fit oem calipers and the oem speedo? I have no idea if there is any larger rim compatible with my oem forks and fender, speedo, and need new rotors maybe brake caliper position mod? Factory rims wont take a good chrome plate, had them polished years ago but the from\nt rim especially had grooves in it like a record, the polisher did not do very good job because it wasnt a smooth surface to begin with. No point in chroming a wheel thats not worth it. Performance speed top end is not a priority here, this bike is just a local ride several days per week and fast enough off the line. aesthetics is what Im going for, want nice chrome rims to fit the bike without having to change everything else around that, especially the shaft drive. There has got to be something that will work here??

Last edited:
Have your wheels chromed.
Contact Sean, he can get you taken care of.
Nah, the factory wheels have a groove in them like a record, they didnt take well to a professional polish due to the grooves. Chrome would be expensive and turn out like crap anyway

I know of a company in elkhart indiana that sands and polishes stock wheels.. I seen an 85 front that they did looked good . i HAVE A FROnt stock that was sanded and polished but I don't know who did it as it was on the bike when I bought it ... It can be done or like others said switch to radials and join 20th century

Nah, the factory wheels have a groove in them like a record, they didnt take well to a professional polish due to the grooves. Chrome would be expensive and turn out like crap anyway
I have seen tons of polished and Chrome stock wheels! If you had a supposedly professional polisher he did not know what he was doing ! Chastise me if you want but it's the truth

The machined finish can be smoothed out if done properly. Hardest part of stock wheels is getting all the pits out when they are dipped as the castings are crap and tends to open up the pores and allow the pit

Attachments

• Chrome OEM Wheels.jpg
    Chrome OEM Wheels.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
Your bike, your choice, but for what you're spending on chrome, that would probably buy one wheel in a 17" or 18" size. Save up and search for a pair of wheels which allow you to run radials.

However, if you want OEM wheels chromed, talk to Sean about machining and chroming. Powdercoating would be much cheaper.

Back