strange misfiring -SOLVED-

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
ok so my bike has started developing a misfiring problem.

I notice it most at low revs and cruising at low revs. It sounds like those hi-tech traction control systems that kill ignition.

Also, since putting the Supertrapps on at the weekend, I can smell gas on idle - wondering if it has to do with the misfiring.

When I crank it up, it first hesitates, then usually at around 4k rpm it goes away, picks up properly and fires on all 4.

I'm gonna check my spark plugs and COPs tomorrow, but wondered if anyone has any suggestions as how to troubleshoot this one? :ummm:

Re: strange misfiring

ok so my bike has started developing a misfiring problem.

I notice it most at low revs and cruising at low revs. It sounds like those hi-tech traction control systems that kill ignition.

Also, since putting the Supertrapps on at the weekend, I can smell gas on idle - wondering if it has to do with the misfiring.

When I crank it up, it first hesitates, then usually at around 4k rpm it goes away, picks up properly and fires on all 4.

I'm gonna check my spark plugs and COPs tomorrow, but wondered if anyone has any suggestions as how to troubleshoot this one? :ummm:

does it have to do with that arc'ing you are seeing?

does it have to do with that arc'ing you are seeing?

Not sure, but I don't think so unless I have a faulty COP. Today I took the rubber cover off and rode it and I had the same misfiring problem.

I think it's happens more when it's hot. Also I haven't actually seen arcing since going from coils to COPs, I just keep getting shocked if I touch the #1 rubber cover.

I'll have a look tonight and see if it's actually arcing again.

Ok so I went to do some testing today.

Using Pick-up coil test, at 92F/33C ambient temp, I measured:

Black/Orange = 136 Ω
Black/Grey = 134 Ω
Black/Wh-Red = 134 Ω
Black/Wh-Gr = 136 Ω

So I guess my pickup coils are ok?

I then removed and measured each COP:

#1 = 1.7 Ω
#2 = 1.8 Ω
#3 = 1.9 Ω
#4 = 1.8 Ω

So I think that's pretty much in the ballpark too.

Then I removed my spark plugs, and took pics in the hope some of you guys would tell me what they think about my A/F settings and how I'm running.
Bear in mind that other than that misfiring problem that has just started bugging me, it feels like it's running good.

Here are the sparks in order - 1 to 4:
P1070093.jpg

P1070095.jpg

P1070096.jpg

P1070102.jpg

I'm gonna go do the TCI testing now, any suggestions welcome!

Have you tested your charging voltage lately? I have had similar symptoms when my bike is warmed up after the fan kicks on and drags the voltage back down under 13v. I think my CDI box begins doing strange things and if it's dark out, I can see arcing. ONLY WHEN ITS HOT OUT, BIKE WARMED, AND THE FAN IS ON - do I have these issues. Very frusterpating.

Hello,

Pick-ups seem to be ok. COP's also.

No special big problem with plugs. Better to remove the connectors from TCI and brush both sides clean. Then connect and test again.
punk0000.gif

Regards,

AT

Ok so I tested all my pickup coils, COPs, spark plugs, and battery + and - connections, and the connections to the TCI. Could not find anything wrong.

Rode it again today, and it's still misfiring and feeling like it's randomly running on 3 rather than 4 cylinders. Also it really smells of gas a lot on idle when sitting a the lights.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I'm gonna check for sparks properly tomorrow, and maybe run a little seafoam just in case, but there's something definitely wrong here.

Help!

G, not including the arcing- this is about the problem I was having last year. turned out to be issues with the carb. you pointed out an oring in my carb that was probably the culprit when I posted pic's.

I replaced pretty much the entire electric side before that. .

any chance something came lose in your carb ?

coudl the arc'ing and the tboost issue be syptoms of the same thing?

There is no more arcing that I can see. Since taking all the plugs, coils etc apart and putting it all back together, I am now not getting shocked but the #1 plug/coil/rubber anymore. I did replace that spark plug as its inner ceramic was cracked (I cracked while gapping).

The Tboost is kept off 90% of the time, I just turn Vboost on every now and then for a laugh.

I am going to give it a shotgun today just to see if it helps. It did sit for about 8 weeks while I was on tour, so maybe some dirt got in there somewhere.

I'll keep looking, something's wrong and it's really annoying me.

BTW, has anyone ever written a guide to checking wet float levels?

G, I have some clear plastic tubing I use to check my wet float levels. You're 10 times the photographer I'll ever be - next time you ride out this way we can check your wet float settings & you can document/photoshoot the proceedure. I think most will agree you do the best write-ups with photos. I think the spec is 17mm from centerline, no ?

Yea that's the spec, I set mine dry on the bench when I did my carbs, and looking at my plugs I'm wondering if I've been a bit on the Rich (no pun intended lol) side..

Sounds like a great idea tho m8, if we do it together the pictures will be even better :)

I'm coming to Tampa this weekend, but not sure if I'll be on the bike as I have to pick a bunch of things up. Then next weekend I'll be in NY, so it'll prolly be in early August.

Having said that, today I did a quick shotgun and the bike ran a LOT better - no more misfiring. I couldn't smell gas on idle anymore either, but then I only rode it 8 miles to work.

The fuel light came on with only 69 miles on the clock, so either I have a leak, or someone played with my trip meter, or someone stole my gas. hmm..

Just wanted to close this thread - doing the SHOTGUN fixed my misfiring problems.

I guess having sat for a coupla months, something got clogged up in the carbs, and the shotgun took care of it.

Next tank gave me just over 80 miles, and I'm still on the next one, so I guess the combination of Supertrapps and town-only riding have killed my mpg..

NG, had u put any stabil or anything in the tank?

Lets see the plugs now G. Those look rich to me. The insulator should be a nice light tan color.

Your mains probably need dropped.

Chris

Re: strange misfiring -AGAIN!-

Well waddya know, as soon as I go to close this thread the misfiring comes back!
:bang head::bang head::damn angry::damn angry:

Garrett, I have not run stabil or seafoam for a while - I may add some to see if it helps.

Chris, here are some fresh pics of my plugs as of today (pics are in order). The one thing that has changed is I fitted the Supertrapps slip-ons, so I think that definitely makes things a little richer. They are coming off soon, will go back to OEM then swap for Jardines and reassess the situation.
What I can't work out tho, is why my #1 spark is THAT much sootier than the other three? :ummm: Has this got to do with the A/F screws settings? They're all at 2 3/4 turns out. Motor is stock, sea level, K&N air filter and Supertrapps.

Also, I think the misfiring is happening in the right hand bank - rode with no helmet (!!) today and could definitely hear a change in bark out of the right-hand Trapp when it picked up after misfiring. Always seems to misfire at lower revs, then picks up and goes away from mid to high revs. Definitely time for some seafoam..

Attachments

• P1080005.jpg
    P1080005.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 44
  • P1080008.jpg
    P1080008.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 42
  • P1080010.jpg
    P1080010.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 39
  • P1080013.jpg
    P1080013.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 41
dude ur gas in there is probably SHITE! my buddy's g/f's buell shitted all up after gas for just a month! i'd run some seafoam thru that like its no ones business!!!

just get like a 10 gallon tank and put a huge as box fan and a gallon o fseafoam. turn the biek on for the next 3 days. hahaha

nah j/k, make sure the shite gas is out first.

how many discs you have on the supertrapps?
also are u SURE the v-boost is closed? i had a problem where my bike idled REAL bad, guys behind could smell gas. After looking around my v-boost would not close all the way so at idle too much gas
michael

Well all I can get is Florida gas, and that's with up to 10% ethanol - no choice. I've been filling up at various stations..

I have 6 or 7 disks on the trapps, it's hard to tell if the last one out is a disk or the cap..

I have checked my Vboost, and it opens and closes properly.

lol, if your getting Zapped from handling the plug caps, then theres one of your problems.
Replace them all with $5 NGK caps from your local shop or stealership. If the caps arc to ground at idle or just above, that'll cause your misfire. They may/may not misfire at higher rpm (they might arc to ground but you wont feel it) because the energy is going form the coil to the cap and being used, where at an idle, excess energy has a tendency to just go through a crack in the cap and go to ground and cause your misfire. I see it all the time.

Back