supporting mods for nitrous

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hi officer

Reaction score
well as the title says im looking for more power but dont really have the money for crazy internal parts. im going through the engine soon (blew a head gasket i believe) and would like to know how much nitrous i can safely run on a stock bottom end or if anything can be done to be more reliable without buying expensive pistons, rods, etc. thanks.

btw im consistantly running in the 6s with a best of 6.78 at 103. anyone think it has more in it as it sits with the mods in my sig?

I would say with them numbers posted you have a great running VMAX also... I am running the setup as you, unless you weigh 165LBS. yours runs better! 6.70's at 103 you must know how to ride also.
I have nitrous on my vmax and have been running it for 3 years. I only put 2 bottles through mine this year due to my lines started to leak a lil so I didnt full with it. Nitrous is the way to go, figure to spend close to 1000.00 by the time you are done including a Holley Blue Pump, Low pressure cut off switch, gauges, and other things to make it a blow up proof kit.
So its not cheap, well comparing it to "internal parts"
My fastest pass no nitrous in the 1/8 is 6.91 I think at 101. something its on here some where,, nitrous I have seen 6.40's @ 111-112..
What size main jets are you running with your stage 7 kit I cant get 103 out of mine but I know its possible with a VMAX I have seen it before..
Did you bracket race? IDBA Pro Star NHRA, private bracket races in the South East? Division 3 NHRA finals?

i got to be honest i dont know the size jet, i bought the bike as it sits. i will let you know when i tear it down. i have experince driving pretty fast cars from at the strip but am fairly new to a street bike. i ran the bike maybe fifteen or so times total, just on test and tune night. all i did was set the rear tire pressure around ten pounds, set the rear springs and shocks to there softest settings the track i run at hooks amazingly. rear tire is the metzler 170...one thing that i forgot to mention is i weigh 150 so maybe i got that on my side:biglaugh: im only nineteen but fast toys is already turning into a lifestyle

I have tried shooting an 80 shot a few times but when I wasn't getting good numbers (only a few shots in the 1/8) I changed just and noticed I had a 26 fuel jet insetad of a 20 in one cylinder so I was fowling a plug.
I have tried a 60 shot a few times at the 1/4 mile, but I never did any better than I did with a 40 shot. I did notice the power difference though... damn thing wanted to wheelie like a mo-fo.

I haven't gotten past the 100mph mark yet in the 1/8 (on motor alone)... been to 99 a few times, and my time is around 7.2 - 7.3. I also weigh about 220lbs. With a 40 shot of nitrous, my time improved to a best of 6.88 at around 108mph. In the 1/4 it got me about a 1/2 second and about 10mph. I'm also using a pregressive controler so I'm not hitting the full shot right away... it is taking 2 or 3 seconds to ramp up to 100%.

Looks like you can ride, and like Lankee said... you bike is running well!

Keep us updated.

Jeff

thats awesome, i have also pondered the idea of a progressive controler due to traction is already limited and idk how an instant hit would do. also im am very new to nitrous. what style of kits are these? fogger, direct port, wet, dry etc.? like i said i still need to do alot of research and im just getting started. thanks guys

well as the title says im looking for more power but dont really have the money for crazy internal parts. im going through the engine soon (blew a head gasket i believe) and would like to know how much nitrous i can safely run on a stock bottom end or if anything can be done to be more reliable without buying expensive pistons, rods, etc. thanks.

btw im consistantly running in the 6s with a best of 6.78 at 103. anyone think it has more in it as it sits with the mods in my sig?

Rule of thumb with stock motors is about 20/hp per cyl. you should be safe with 80hp, I'm running around 80 with my current setup and over 100hp on my old street bike. The big thing is detonation control. Some ppl mod thier ignitions or buy new ones, others just up the octaine.

I've been using aftermarket ignitions in my bikes (Dyna 3000, MSD, Dyna S) to retard the timing and never had a nitrous issue in over 20+ years. I've seen others just rely on octaine levels then need a rebuild during the winter.

Also don't forget your safety switches ie. low fuel pressure switch, and indicator lights/led's are your friends.

Last edited:
thats awesome, i have also pondered the idea of a progressive controler due to traction is already limited and idk how an instant hit would do. also im am very new to nitrous. what style of kits are these? fogger, direct port, wet, dry etc.? like i said i still need to do alot of research and im just getting started. thanks guys

This was my first nitrous project as well. I had fun doing it, but it is a pain in the arse to keep the bottle filled and pressure constant, etc. It sure is fun to hit the gas, it feels like you are going mach 1... wind, wobbles, shimmys, shakes... it is great!

Here is a link to a thread I started a while back about my install.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=2718&highlight=morley+muscle+nitrous
I used a NX wet system. I have lots of pics, but little experience. I can also make up some of the brackets to hold the solenoids if you like the look.

Jeff

This was my first nitrous project as well. I had fun doing it, but it is a pain in the arse to keep the bottle filled and pressure constant, etc. It sure is fun to hit the gas, it feels like you are going mach 1... wind, wobbles, shimmys, shakes... it is great!

Here is a link to a thread I started a while back about my install. I used a NX wet system. I have lots of pics, but little experience. I can also make up some of the brackets to hold the solenoids if you like the look.

Jeff

Don't see the linkie...

I have tried shooting an 80 shot a few times but when I wasn't getting good numbers (only a few shots in the 1/8) I changed just and noticed I had a 26 fuel jet insetad of a 20 in one cylinder so I was fowling a plug.
I have tried a 60 shot a few times at the 1/4 mile, but I never did any better than I did with a 40 shot. I did notice the power difference though... damn thing wanted to wheelie like a mo-fo.

I haven't gotten past the 100mph mark yet in the 1/8 (on motor alone)... been to 99 a few times, and my time is around 7.2 - 7.3. I also weigh about 220lbs. With a 40 shot of nitrous, my time improved to a best of 6.88 at around 108mph. In the 1/4 it got me about a 1/2 second and about 10mph. I'm also using a pregressive controler so I'm not hitting the full shot right away... it is taking 2 or 3 seconds to ramp up to 100%.

Looks like you can ride, and like Lankee said... you bike is running well!

Keep us updated.

Jeff

Here is the reason why nitrous has a bad name "I had a 26 fuel jet insetad of a 20 in one cylinder" Nitrous has no room for error! Be glad you didnt screw up with an over sized Nitrous Jet.

150 lb rider on a good running vmax with a header should see 6.60's about 31lbs. per .10 on a VMAX in the 1/8 mile. But your young and still learning.
Go with nitrous and you should see 113 - 114 and in time with practice you will be running 6.20's on Nitrous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geesh dude, he's not claiming to be the best nor did he throw a gauntlet your direction. So, if someone does'nt run #'s close to yours(evidently no one can compete with you), then they should'nt post them at all???
Looks like you mean to help, but its not very considerate making fun of others. Not really constructive, which is what i think your trying to be.

Welcome to the wonderful world of "Lankee" He will dish it out... and no one is good enough, but we have all grown to love him, or love to hate him.

I'm still on 1 motor, Lankee.... how many are you on?:biglaugh:

Welcome to the wonderful world of "Lankee" He will dish it out... and no one is good enough, but we have all grown to love him, or love to hate him.

I'm still on 1 motor, Lankee.... how many are you on?:biglaugh:

I am on my 4th engine Jeff. My front wheel leaves the ground on occasion, have you taken your training wheels and throttle stop off your yet or are you still scared of the V-Boost.
I cant help that Yamaha builds a week bottom end on there engines. I raced a GSXR for 5 years and never had to split the cases. I guess a VMAX engine will hold together for those that dont push em to the limit on a regular bases.

VBoost.... I set my rev limiter at 5 grand just to make sure that mythical v-boost doesn't kick in.... I would soil myself.

No wonder why your VMAX is so slow and all this time I thought you were scared to wind it up out of the hole...
If you would like I can send you a pair of big boy pants for next yr..

VMAX on Nitrous gets beat by a Harley.....:rofl_200::looser:

No wonder why your VMAX is so slow and all this time I thought you were scared to wind it up out of the hole...
If you would like I can send you a pair of big boy pants for next yr..

VMAX on Nitrous gets beat by a Harley.....:rofl_200::looser:

I beat him!!! You can see the win light... I'll trade you some good eye glasses for them big-boy pants!

Geesh dude, he's not claiming to be the best nor did he throw a gauntlet your direction. So, if someone does'nt run #'s close to yours(evidently no one can compete with you), then they should'nt post them at all???
Looks like you mean to help, but its not very considerate making fun of others. Not really constructive, which is what i think your trying to be.

i didnt get to see the unedited version of his post but at the same time i dont have any idea what it should be running either so thats some good info. as for shit talking you guys are fine, thats what makes forums fun:biglaugh: thanks for the info guys, another thing who sell good rebuild kits? or maybe some links for engine parts for these bikes?

If you got the money and you want to build your VMAX

PCW racing out of NY..
You will also see UFO Cycles with John Cornball but he isnt a favorite around here..

Just start using GOOGLE and search VMAX Performance..

What kind of parts do you need,, plenty of stuff here,, I have engines all with bad cranks:bang head:

One word of advice dont rev your VMAX past 10.2K or you will have a pile of cranks to throw with mine

hey guys who has the best deals on n2o kits?i ve been look at aa nx wet but cant find the adjustable 40 to 100 hp anywhere.thanks for the help mike

I think my kit was the NX 60005P kit. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it, but I also got a bottle gauge, fuel pressure safety switch, fuel pressure gauge, in-line fuel filter, extra bottle, progressive controller, and an extra nitrous solenoid for the purge. The kit comes with 12" ss braided lines, but I ended up getting 18" lines for my setup. NX seemed to be about the best deal around, and their customer support is great! I would just do some searches on the internet and see what you can find.
Good luck,
Jeff

Latest posts

Back