Tachometer Suggestions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
firefly which model number did you use? I have sent them 2 emails with no responce yet

Best way is to call them, they don't have a vmax kit, the vmax uses a kit from a Suzuki with two parts (radiator hose insert for water temperature sensor) and the Tachometer wire needs to have a resistor or else it will read 4 times the RPM so a 1000RPM will be 4000RPM.
I have a complete list with part numbers you can call and make sure the kit you buy have these parts. if you like I can list them for you.
the speedo itself is the same in all Vapor computer kits, it is Vapor. they have other computers & one with GPS but vapor is simple, elegant and not too cluttered with display.
if you decide to buy one, I have photos and instructons on how to instal and set it up on max

Don't hesitate to post the list of the parts here for reference buddy, it might become useful for many guys here soon :)

Don't hesitate to post the list of the parts here for reference buddy, it might become useful for many guys here soon :)

The vmax vapor speedo kit good for 85 to 07:
1- Speedo Cable generic for conventional forks part # 704-06 or 6 inch shorter one, they also have speedo wire for genaric USD forks.
2- Temperature sensor 7500-3050 19mm ID Radiator Hose Insert
3- Raptor 700 Tach/ power lead (tachometer wire with resistance)
4- Mounting hardware can easily be made cheaply since it will be covered by the protector.
5- Protector part # 022-DB.
6- Speedo magnet bolt Suzuki SV 650 fits perfect, it comes with two magnets only one is used.

The red Tachometer wire attached to the orange coil wire, the black is grounded at any good spot.
Its best to call trailtech and talk to customer service to order the right parts, they should be the same price as any of the vapor kits they sell

Attachments

• Speedo mod 010.jpg
    Speedo mod 010.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Speedo mod 011.jpg
    Speedo mod 011.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Speedo mod 014.jpg
    Speedo mod 014.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I got the vapor all set up and I absolutely LOVE it, played hell getting the tach to work right but everything else was a sinch! The reason I had problems is I bought a set of COP's from Gannon and it was throwing things off at the original bike harness, I tried everything and couldn't get it to work right :bang head: finally I took apart the connection AT the number 1 cop and tried wiring it in there and presto, it works perfect now!:eusa_dance: I highly recommend the Vapor and I want to thank Firefly for all the help and advice getting it all set up, just use the shopping list he provided and you'll be good to go, just remember if your running COP's you will have to wire the red tach lead directly into the harness at the coil itself.

the ecliptech shift light makes an excellent tach!

I should have my vapor today with the light dashboard so I can relocate my lights up in the viewing area.

Pics of install.... :punk:

Attachments

• IMAG0086.jpg
    IMAG0086.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMAG0087.jpg
    IMAG0087.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0088.jpg
    IMAG0088.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0089.jpg
    IMAG0089.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMAG0090.jpg
    IMAG0090.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMAG0091.jpg
    IMAG0091.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 72
Looks good...I've always like gadget-y things, and having a digital speedo would be nice also. Definitely gives it a more modern look.

Why couldn't Yamaha have not been retarded and put BOTH the tach and speedo on the handlebars. Honda thought this cluster up in 1984....Everything up top....there was absolutely nothing on the tank. Still, even on new bikes...Yamaha likes to put gauges and stuff down on the tank instead of where you can see them. It's like the old muscle cars that put the gauges hanging under the dashboard, until someone thought up putting the tach on the hood.

IMG_0188r.jpg

Also note Honda thought to include a "tail light out" indicator, an oil light that's connected to the oil pressure instead of level, and an indicator for it's 6th gear overdrive. I love my Max, but seriously, Yamaha can take a page or three out of Honda's book on how to build a bike.

Pics of install.... :punk:
Nice clean install:clapping:I suggest mounting the gear indicator you have beside the Speedo to clean up the handle bar chrome clamp & have it in the line of sight. Please take some night shots with no flash.

Nice clean install:clapping:I suggest mounting the gear indicator you have beside the Speedo to clean up the handle bar chrome clamp & have it in the line of sight. Please take some night shots with no flash.

That is actually an air/fuel gauge that's hooked to a wideband O2 sensor, just kinda stuck it there for now, I'm revamping alot of things on it this winter when I tear it down to do the extended swingarm, solid engine mounts and nitrous instal :biglaugh:

Looks good. What was the total cost if you dont mind me asking?

I NEED a new electric speedo. Still dreaming about the stack unit but I can't get over the cost $$$

Looks good. What was the total cost if you dont mind me asking?

I NEED a new electric speedo. Still dreaming about the stack unit but I can't get over the cost $$$

Its $130 for computer and its connectors, + a protector which is not needed if you have a wind screen, mounting hardware is not needed and could be made very cheaply with parts from a hardware store.
the simple clean look grows on you & you'll start disliking the round bulky speedometers. http://trailtech.net/protectors_dashboards.html

with all in one function it covers all basic needs (speedo+ tachometer+ odometer+ two shift lights+ two temperature warning lights+ clock+ stop watch+ resettable trip meter+ water or oil temperature + ambient air temperature all in a small nice looking package.

Ok it finally quit raining so I went for a ride last night and the tach is still off! :bang head: It was working in the garage and it seems to be intermittent but not sure there is going to be a way to get this thing to work right for me but I'm gonna keep experimenting....

Looks good...I've always like gadget-y things, and having a digital speedo would be nice also. Definitely gives it a more modern look.

Why couldn't Yamaha have not been retarded and put BOTH the tach and speedo on the handlebars. Honda thought this cluster up in 1984....Everything up top....there was absolutely nothing on the tank. Still, even on new bikes...Yamaha likes to put gauges and stuff down on the tank instead of where you can see them. It's like the old muscle cars that put the gauges hanging under the dashboard, until someone thought up putting the tach on the hood.
IMG_0188r.jpg

Too bad that you hadn't bought a Canadian model Max, Mr. Warrior. All gauges and indicator lights up top, plus a few more goodies.
Yamaha may have been considering the poor condition of most of our roads. Glancing down too often to check instruments could cause many hurtin' accidents.
Cheers!

Attachments

• West tour 2010 006.jpg
    West tour 2010 006.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 58
Back