The best year of VMAX

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbaisdad

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm new and just want the best answere to a simple question, that is one of the reasons I joined you vboostaholics. I want to buy the best year of the VMAX.For example I found out that in 85 they had the most HP (140), but yet it had problems with 2nd gear.Also something about in the 90's they beefed up the front suspention.Please can you VMAX BRAINIACS help me with your wisdom and tell me the BEST YEAR TO BUY????
Thanks,:worthy:
Fred

'85 having the most HP is not true. They had a better exhaust but in '86 that changed to meet emissions. To keep the same 145 hp at the crank they increased the size of the vboost manifolds my 1 mm.

I wouldn't get a bike older than '99. That's when they fixed the design of the shift segment that's a part of the shift drum. I think it's around then they fixed the oil line plumbing to prevent the popped o-ring problem.

Mark

Thanks maleko89,
That is the kind of info I need.I came very,very close to buying a 86 with 20,000 miles on it.If you can think of any other upgrades in any year I would deeply appreciate it
Thank you,
Fred

Ditto on what Mark said,

I've been beating on my '99 for 32,000 miles now with nary a problem.

One other thing is just the pure and simple age of a bike, regardless of the miles, will come in to play in how it looks, the condition of the rubber and plastic components, and stuff like that.

I would buy the newest bike you can afford.

Good luck in your search,

Rusty

Simple answer...

Why???

Because...

:whistlin:

Kidding aside... Mark hit the nail on the head! Late models are the way to go!

Hell you'll end up tearing it apart and making it your own anyway... :icon_rolleyes:

The newest and least abused you can afford!

Of course, mine is an '85 and I love it. I had never ridden one when I bought it and for $2700 I figured I couldn't go wrong. However, it is far from perfect and I am sure it has been beaten on by who knows how many owners. One good thing though about a bike they built for over 20 years...lots of parts and possibilities!

Mike

Hell I like all year vmax if it were not for the 1985 we wouldn't have this forum lol , I ride a 1986 that came from europe no v- boost when I bought it . Good luck in your search . :stickyman:

Hell I like all year vmax if it were not for the 1985 we wouldn't have this forum lol , I ride a 1986 that came from europe no v- boost when I bought it . Good luck in your search . :stickyman:

Ahh my friend:hmmm:, but you took care of that little issue didn't you :whistlin:
:rocket bike:

Thank all you beautiful people for your wisdom!!!:clapping:Let me tell you guys and gals something. I AM SO EXCITED TO GET MY FIRST VMAX I CAN'T SLEEP!!!I've got my HARLEY FATBOY, my SECA 550, but have never had the thrill of riding a VMAX!!! I feel like I'm 12yrs. old going on my first date!!!! When I hit that 6,000 rpm black hole I'll be eating bugs from the smile on my face!!!! So stay tune in for my virgin voyage!!!
Love y'all,
Fred:rocket bike:

Thank all you beautiful people for your wisdom!!!:clapping:Let me tell you guys and gals something. I AM SO EXCITED TO GET MY FIRST VMAX I CAN'T SLEEP!!!I've got my HARLEY FATBOY, my SECA 550, but have never had the thrill of riding a VMAX!!! I feel like I'm 12yrs. old going on my first date!!!! When I hit that 6,000 rpm black hole I'll be eating bugs from the smile on my face!!!! So stay tune in for my virgin voyage!!!
Love y'all,

Congrats!! And Rock On! :punk:

Love y'all,

It is a fun bike and you will most definitely enjoy that rush the first time. The only other bike that I have ridden with such a pronounced step up in power above 6k has been my RZ350. However, the difference is that that RZ doesn't have enough torque to peel the skin off of a grape below 6k, and the V-Max has enough at idle to rotate the earth. Like the old article in Cycle World said it goes "fast faster" once it hits that zone.

Mike

I'm kinda partial to the 85 reds myself, though I can't imagine why :hmmm: (I've had two of them). I tried to get an 85 purple after the 15yr old chick turned left in front of the red one, but Yamaha was out of leftover purple ones (in 1987) and I settled for a leftover 85 red one.

Other than an issue with the sparkplug wires, fixing the slow starting problem, and a busted drive shaft, I would say its been a great 23+ years for me.

Of course there is that annoying, persistant problem with the back tires - they only last an average 2,500 miles each. And that's when you're only tooling around town, not actively participating at the dragstrip.

I agree with the other posts, whatever year you end up with will be great.

Back