The VMAX Novel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devin

Reaction score
Please feel free to move this(or remove it). I am a long time lurker and about to dive in deep. I am a vmaxaholic and my name is Devin. Back in 1994 when I was a mere twenty years I purchased a brand new 1994 (we will call it LEMON YELLOW) Yamaha VMAX. It was plagued with the infamous O Ring failure at about 2500 miles. This resulted in premature wrist pin wear and rebuild of the engine under warranty but after many confrontations with the dealer the bike never performed the same. That was the prequil. Understand this motorcycle was my fathers unatamable goal after owning a 1979 xs 1100 special since new and challenging antyhing on two wheels and never being disappointed. Granted by 1994 the VMAX was already out dated and would never be the king I still enjoyed the idea of bringing home my fathers dream (I still have the original literature from 1985). After being soured by my by experience with the max I had no choice but to trade it in on a 1995 goldwing. To be continued.......

From max to wing? HMMM...there are many bikes that are closer to the max than that. What made you pick the wing? It's a great bike but not in the same category as the max.

No my last name is not Hester (If it it was I would be posting in the gen II room inquiring about a turbo and nitrous). Do you still want my autograph?

No my last name is not Hester (If it it was I would be posting in the gen II room inquiring about a turbo and nitrous). Do you still want my autograph?

hahaha....sure why not. you can sign my carbs. maybe that will get them to run right...:biglaugh:

post some pics of the lemon yellow max when you get a chance.

All I have of pictures of the 94 is film. If you have seen one stock yellow 94 you have seen them all. The next chapter is what is worth getting pictures of. Anyone can buy a new one. This computer stuff is new to me so bare with me.

All I have of pictures of the 94 is film. If you have seen one stock yellow 94 you have seen them all. The next chapter is what is worth getting pictures of. Anyone can buy a new one. This computer stuff is new to me so bare with me.

go on.....:ummm:

So after two years I totaled the Wing avoiding a deer. Two months later I replaced the Wing with (you guessed it) a new Wing. Once you go wing you don't go back. I always wanted another Vmax but after my first experience it just didn't make sense. Fast foward to a couple of years. Within about a two hour time frame my father and a good friend both called me to say there is a Vmax for sale on the side of the road locally. I did all I could to avoid it but eventially I took a look. It was an 86 that has seen its better days. The topper was that after it was dropped the last time the owner got a good deal on a set of fenders and faux tank brand new from the dealer that somebody ordered and didn't pick up and they happened to be yellow(I believe reddish yellow to be exact). Needless to say it wasn't pretty.

So the end result is I bought it for 600 bucks, painted it black, put a used kerker from ebay on it and have been enjoying it for the last two years(Doesn't anybody enjoy a good book anymore?). I think I have experienced about 90 percent of the problems I have read about on this forum but slowly working my way through them. Even though it runs ok with what I believe to be a stock carb set up I have ordered Morely's kit. My major problem is the infamous slow start. Is there any way of knowing which of the replacement starters on ebay are four pole? Thanks Devin.

Back