Thinking of buying my first VMax..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beyondink

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying one of these and wanted your imput. I live in Virginia where there are a lot of curvy roads and then there is the parkway which is great to ride on, but curvy. I have heard that the V's don't do well on roads like that is this true? I am not going to be tearing the road up or going for a land speed record just want to ride these roads. Is this a good bike for that or shoul dI look elsewhere. Any other imput for a Newbie to the Max is greatly appreciated!:cheers:

and that is why I am here I love them just want to make sure it will turn and not fight me in the turns like some say ya know.. all though I really want one with 17" or 18" sport bike wheels front and rear if I can find cheap I do hear that helps hanfling

well the vmax willl never keep up with the rockets in the twisties, but if you change the front springs, back shocks, frame braces, solid motor mounts, and radial wheels/tires it will sure as hell give them a run for there money. Depends on the rider and how crazy you are. Its all up to your riding style man, if your going the speed limit a stock max will be fine

ok well that does help now I just need to find some cheapy wheels and figure out hor to convert them to fit so I can run radials and get the stance I want.

Great fun in the twisties but you do need to have a metallic set of balls to ride fast. (I'm almost there, if I can just get it running again...)
You just have to respect the power it has as well as the weight of the bike wanting to overpower the tyres and slide off the road.

Certainly makes you ride smoother that's for sure.

I am thinking of buying one of these and wanted your imput. I live in Virginia where there are a lot of curvy roads and then there is the parkway which is great to ride on, but curvy. I have heard that the V's don't do well on roads like that is this true? I am not going to be tearing the road up or going for a land speed record just want to ride these roads. Is this a good bike for that or shoul dI look elsewhere. Any other imput for a Newbie to the Max is greatly appreciated!:cheers:

'Ello and welcome!

I have both... A crotch rocket and a Max... :thumbs up:

The Max is a blast to ride but it's limitations are the corners. I have mine setup with radials and Race-Tech fork internals and it still lacks what my SV gives me. It is 100% better now but it is still a 600# bike. I highly recommend a Vmax for what it was meant for... A power cruiser...:punk:

FYI: I have WAY to much money into this Max to make it what I really wanted to begin with. I put over 200 miles on it this weekend and it is everything I want it to be now. Just for quality forged aluminum wheels and tires you are looking at about 2200 dollars... That plus suspension and other goodies to make it different than every other Max out there will add up VERY quickly...

I started with an idea/end result and it has now come to fruition...

Talk to Outlaw Justice as well about doing corners. He teaches a riding/cornering course. He can kneedrag on a nearly stock Max. All about ability. I'm probably going to sign up for that course this year as there is one in Frederick. Thing is I DON"T want to scrape my expensive pegs, maybe I'll have to pick up some cheapies for the class. Also If I tip it over boy will I be pissed :damn angry:

Talk to Outlaw Justice as well about doing corners. He teaches a riding/cornering course. He can kneedrag on a nearly stock Max. All about ability. I'm probably going to sign up for that course this year as there is one in Frederick. Thing is I DON"T want to scrape my expensive pegs, maybe I'll have to pick up some cheapies for the class. Also If I tip it over boy will I be pissed :damn angry:

Truer words have never been spoken... err... Typed...:whistlin:

Of course the lean angle on a Vmax isn't nearly what a sportbike is but brass balls come in VERY handy in those situations...

I just bought a new 'Max and I love it. I've owned a Maxim 1100, Honda 900RR, FJ1100, and a few random Enduros. Here are my humble thoughts on the matter:

- It feels downright creepy in corners compared to a sportbike

- Both my 900RR and my FJ1100 were more fun to ride hard and fast...but my V-Max is more fun to ride OFTEN or for extended periods of time. For me, sportbikes are torture if you aren't "sporting"

- A 'Max will friggin carve compared to an Enduro!

- I think the shaft drive makes it FEEL less stable than it actually is by virtue of varying the geometry on accelleration/deceleration

- I used to drag pegs occasionally on my Maxim 1100 (a Yamaha shaft-drive sport cruiser) so I'm sure one could do so on a ' Max as well

- If you want to learn your limits and push them, don't get a 'Max.

- I've seen enough guys fail to make corners or hit gravel when they are at the edge of the traction envelope that dragging my pegs at speed just isn't that appealing anymore

- A V-Max is a bike to relax and ENJOY riding. Comfortable, easy to make the "go-fast", dependable, cool looking, and looks enough like a Harley that you can usually trick those guys into waving :rofl_200:

- I used to drag pegs occasionally on my Maxim 1100 (a Yamaha shaft-drive sport cruiser) so I'm sure one could do so on a ' Max as well
Surprisingly easy once you know the bike well enough. Though harder than a Maxim cause the pegs on the Vmax are closer to directly beneath you then the Maxim.

700 feet of tire smoke will never be the same!

Please dont try to turn the smoker into a crotch rocket ;)

:cheers:

Neil

Attachments

• vmax440hp.jpg
    vmax440hp.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 9
  • full_gear.jpg
    full_gear.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 8
Yo Neil-3446,

A little background on that build if you please. :surprise:

Not mine for starters....

Magna blown and gt-ball bearing turbo forced for the boost ... 440hp is the claimed crank hp dyno. Supposed this went into a 1/4 midget.

I'm sure some others here will chime in ;)

:cheers:

Neil

Back