Tire pressure

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have followed the 10% rule for tire pressure ever since I can remember (hot tire pressure should be 10% higher than cold) but lately I've read about 10/20 rule, 10% difference front, 20% rear. What is everybody running for stock sized tires? I've seen suggestions for 36-38 for rear tire but that's quite a bit lower than factory recommended 42...not so sure I'm interested in changing tires out every couple thousand miles.

The bike really feels a lot "lighter on its feet" ( more responsive) when at the factory settings. I always run down in the rear 36 lbs or so though because it improves traction quite a bit and the ride less harsh.

I'm going to try 38 out back. 36 in the front gets me almost exactly at the 10% but dropping the back to 40 got hot pressure to 45psi...just over 10%. 36-38 might be what works for this 20% rule. What kind of mileage do you get out the tires with the pressures you're running?

There is a wiggle room range for pressure, and I'm sure most of us experiment. I'm running radials but have been putting 34-36 psi cold, in both and seem to have better highway riding comfort. At 38-40 cold, the ride was harsher, but handling better. Of course more load, more pressure. I also softened shock adjustments with lower tire pressure for the long cruises. If going canyon carving, I'd lessen the sag front & rear and run 38-40 psi in the tires. Our bikes can far exceed their handling reputation. But some Benjamins will be involved.

Last edited:
I run 30 in the back and 33 in the front. This setup makes the Max stick as well as I believe it can here in the mountains. It is also fantastic nailing it coming off the line at red lights! :D

I run 36 in the rear (200 size) on the road and for racing 15psi works best for me at 6000RPM launch.

Back