To antifreeze or not to antifreeze..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dezeez

Reaction score
That's my question. My next winter mod is going to be to install a clear water pump cover, I've also been reading all of the articles on coolants that I can find since I'll be flushing the cooling system at the same time.

After reading about the two main types of antifreeze, Waterwetter, Purple Ice and Engine Ice, I've found that there's a lot of different opinions on what's good and what's not.

On a purely cosmetic basis, I'd like to run Purple Ice just to have purple fluid showing through my clear cover. To do that, I would have to mix the Purple Ice with water only. Usually, Purple Ice is added to whatever antifreeze you're using but it can be used with water only for racing applications. I won't be racing but I don't need the antifreeze since I never ride in cold weather (that's right, I'm a sissy) and the bike is stored in a garage. Now, antifreeze also raises the boiling point of water. Purple Ice and Waterwater don't raise waters boiling point but they do make the water cool more efficiently. Has anybody tried this in their street bikes? Waterwetter can be used with just water also but who wants pink fluids?

My second choice is the blue Engine Ice. It's a premix and I would have to buy 2 jugs at $20 bucks each to have enough for Mr Max. Ouch.

Last edited:
That's my question. My next winter mod is going to be to install a clear water pump cover, I've also been reading all of the articles on coolants that I can find since I'll be flushing the cooling system at the same time.

After reading about the two main types of antifreeze, Waterwetter, Purple Ice and Engine Ice, I've found that there's a lot of different opinions on what's good and what's not.

On a purely cosmetic basis, I'd like to run Purple Ice just to have purple fluid showing through my clear cover. To do that, I would have to mix the Purple Ice with water only. Usually, Purple Ice is added to whatever antifreeze you're using but it can be used with water only for racing applications. I won't be racing but I don't need the antifreeze since I never ride in cold weather (that's right, I'm a sissy) and the bike is stored in a garage. Now, antifreeze also raises the boiling point of water. Purple Ice and Waterwater don't raise waters boiling point but they do make the water cool more efficiently. Has anybody tried this in their street bikes? Waterwetter can be used with just water also but who wants pink fluids?

My second choice is the blue Engine Ice. It's a premix and I would have to buy 2 jugs at $20 bucks each to have enough for Mr Max. Ouch.

I run Engine Ice in both of my bikes and it works awesome! I had my neighbor use it in his overheating VFR and it worked wonders. I paid 16 per half gallon I think but it's worth it. From what I've seen with the clear cover is you need to paint the back ground silver to see anything... They're a waste if you ask me but what ever floats your boat! :thumbs up:

I used distilled water and white vinegar to flush my system. Highly recommended to even a NEW bike. The crap left over in the block needs removed asap.:cheers:

Whoa, what's this about painting the water pump silver? That's one I haven't heard yet.

I read about the white Vinegar thing. I was planning on doing that when flushing. I'm replacing that valve/petcock assembly on the front of the motor (all corroded) and installing a switch to manually control the fan while I'm doing the water pump cover.

Can't help it, I love the clear covers, I already installed the clear clutch cover. As soon as the doller strengthens against the Euro, I'm ordering the clear Generator/Stator cover fron Exactrap. I can't find anyone else who sells them. I don't like the Otec stuff. Too much money and too weird looking.

The EngineIce gets good reviews but is awful expensive for what it is.

What I've noticed with the water pump cover is it's so dark in it that you can't see didly squat unless it's in the sun.:confused2: That's why I think it's a waste.:whistlin:

I guess I can use engine paint inside the water pump. I would have thought that it would already be silver(bare aluminum).

Where did you get the Engine Ice for $16? The only place local I can find it is at the Yamaha dealer.

And back to my original question, is anybody running their street bike without antifreeze?

I guess I can use engine paint inside the water pump. I would have thought that it would already be silver(bare aluminum).

Where did you get the Engine Ice for $16? The only place local I can find it is at the Yamaha dealer.

And back to my original question, is anybody running their street bike without antifreeze?

I know a lot people doing it with there race bikes as they use them for track days. You need to put water wetter in the water.:thumbs up: It may be aluminum but you can't see enough to make it worth the dosh IMHO

I found engine ice at www.rockymountainatv.com and used it in my raptor 660(ATV). It worked great cooling that big engine in the timber for hours with hardly any air going through the radiator. I bought redline water wetter at O'Reily auto parts, might be able to get it at autozone or even walmart. I havent used it yet, but heard it worked pretty good too.

I don't know about all these "additives" but in any case you for sure need something that combats corrosion like a good anti-freeze does. I don't need it for temperature control in Houston but an aluminum engine needs something to address this issue so I use it anyway at about 25%.

Rusty

I don't know about all these "additives" but in any case you for sure need something that combats corrosion like a good anti-freeze does. I don't need it for temperature control in Houston but an aluminum engine needs something to address this issue so I use it anyway at about 25%.

Rusty

Engine Ice is antifreeze! Although it only protects to -26?F Water wetter is added to water to lubricate the pump and keep corrosion at bay!

Both Waterwetter and Purple Ice have anti-corrosion and lubrication properties to protect the engine and pump bearings. Like the GasM says, EngineIce is antifreeze -difference being it's blue.

Does a 25% mix of antifreeze supply enough lube and corrosion protection? Why not run the standard 50/50 mix?

Thanks for the heads-up on RockMountain ATV. Even with shipping, 2 jugs of EngineIce is about $4.00 cheaper than the local dealer.

Is Purple ice diff than Engine ice? Purple is an additive whereas Engine ice is a straight antifreeze? Would also be interested in running straight purple if possible

Yeah, they're different. EngineIce is premix antifreeze with additives(at least that's what they claim, some people seem to feel that it's chemically not much different than the regular stuff). A lot of people say they run cooler with it. Something's different because it's blue and the two types of antifreeze are green or orangey pink.

Waterwetter and Purple Ice are not antifreeze. They both can be used as an additive to both types of antifreeze or they can be mixed with just DI water for racing. They contain lube and anti-corrosion stuff to protect the engine. They also change the properties of water to make it a more efficient coolant.

I started this whole thing because Purple Ice recommends a minumum of 20% antifreeze for street use. I'm just wondering if this is a cover your ass statement to protect against freezing or if there's another reason for it.

Dumb as it sounds, I just want a cool color to show through my clear water pump cover and still protect the engine. The green antifreeze looks o.k. but that's the stuff that's deadly to pets. They love the taste and I'd rather not use it.

Last edited:
my buddy tried a lot of them and ended up with engine ice and the only way you see blue is if it's in the sun. I've seen red too. I think that's a Toyota coolant.

Dumb as it sounds, I just want a cool color to show through my clear water pump cover and still protect the engine. The green antifreeze looks o.k. but that's the stuff that's deadly to pets. They love the taste and I'd rather not use it.

I've been using Sierra antifreeze for a long time now, I've had it in my 55 thunderbird, my truck, gold wing and Venture royal. I haven't had a lick of problems with it in the 85deg summers or the -50 winters.

My venture was stored outside several winters and not a problem.

Plus I have my dogs, they are like many pets a member of the family and Sierra is pet safe. :clapping:

What brand is the red antifreeze? That's one I haven't come across yet.

You're sure it's not the pink stuff but actually red?

What brand is the red antifreeze? That's one I haven't come across yet.

You're sure it's not the pink stuff but actually red?

Here ya go! Red or what? Toyota uses red coolant I think...:confused2:

Attachments

• 100_2197.jpg
    100_2197.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 25
That's positively red. Man, nice bike, I'm not sure I'm worthy of using the same antifreeze as that guy.

Back