Too Hot?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mark!! I have always been told that it would cause the bike to run hotter in warm weather. Kind of like running a car without a thermostat, runs too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer (too much flow and beings that heat transfer in the radiator is a function of airflow+fluid flow+heat transfer coefficient of the metal the rad is made of + delta T between the coolant and the outside air. For those that have had a thermodynamics course recently please forgive the bastardized equation cause I have forgotten the exact one.).

If you notice in the picture, the "OFF" is pointed to approx 2 o'clock. There is a small mark in the body of the housing at that point. When you turn it to line up the "ON" to that same mark at 2 o'clock the drain is now open. It is hard to see so the best way is to note where the ball bearing is. (Top hole = Drain Off, Bottom hole = Drain On). When I bought mine the ball bearing was missing and it would just rotate with no detent or stop. Since the whole assembly was in bad shape, I just purchased a complete new assembly. When inspecting the old assembly, that is when I noticed the alignment mark. To be sure, I verified it was on the new one also.

JUST LAZERED MY RADIATOR , 2006 V-MAX STOCK ENGINE , WITH v-maxoutlaw.com RADIATOR FAN SWITCH , FAN COMES ON WHEN TOP OF RADIATOR WHERE UPPER HOSE CONNECTS AT 196 DEG. BOTTOM OF RADIATOR IS 185 DEG . OIL PAN TEMP AT THIS TIME IS ONLY 103 DEG . THATS WHY ITS IMPORTANT TO WARM THESE UP BEFORE RIDING . BIKE STAYS AT 196 DEG . WHILE SITTING IN TRAFFIC , MY GAUGE IS READING ABOUT A 1/6 OF AN INCH BELOW HALF-WAY ! HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE !:punk:

JUST LAZERED MY RADIATOR , 2006 V-MAX STOCK ENGINE , WITH v-maxoutlaw.com RADIATOR FAN SWITCH , FAN COMES ON WHEN TOP OF RADIATOR WHERE UPPER HOSE CONNECTS AT 196 DEG. BOTTOM OF RADIATOR IS 185 DEG . OIL PAN TEMP AT THIS TIME IS ONLY 103 DEG . THATS WHY ITS IMPORTANT TO WARM THESE UP BEFORE RIDING . BIKE STAYS AT 196 DEG . WHILE SITTING IN TRAFFIC , MY GAUGE IS READING ABOUT A 1/6 OF AN INCH BELOW HALF-WAY ! HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE !:punk:

JUST LAZERED MY RADIATOR? What does that mean?

It is hard to see so the best way is to note where the ball bearing is. (Top hole = Drain Off, Bottom hole = Drain On).

m-cman I think you got it backwards.
-------------------------------------------------------------

You are absolutely correct. Sorry. As one of my friends says, "Had a brain fart".

Bearing in top hole = Drain ON - In Bottom Hole = Drain OFF.

I would also like to know the resolution to this problem as my bike does that exact same thing (2003).

I live in florida and if I ride in the middle of the day and stop at a stop light my bike will heat up right to the red line but not into the red.

Now, while cruising, it cools back down to a little below half way on the guage.

The fan is on but the bike just will not stay cool while stoped?

I would also like to know the resolution to this problem as my bike does that exact same thing (2003).

I live in florida and if I ride in the middle of the day and stop at a stop light my bike will heat up right to the red line but not into the red.

Now, while cruising, it cools back down to a little below half way on the guage.

The fan is on but the bike just will not stay cool while stoped?

JordonN, my Max does the same thing. But I don't see it as a problem. I've got over 35,000 on my bike and rode it every week day stuck in rush hour traffic, in the sweltering heat. And I've never had any issues or problems with my stock Max.

Back