Top Speed numbers for Gen 2. What are you getting?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1badmax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brought my 2016 back in August completely stock with 5500 miles on it. I have since done the simple version MAB just pulling the inlet restrictor plate and adding a K&N, deleting the cat with an Akrapovic mid pipe keeping stock tail pipes. I did the DD to the clutch then had Tim flash my ECU.

Finally found a descent road to pretty much top in out. A couple of weeks ago I was able to hit 172 but had to back out and thought I left a bit on the table. Today I was able to hit the 175 mark. I realize is not totally accurate since it's just off the speedometer and I did not have my GPS with me. I run an Avon 200/55R18 which is a bit taller tire so it should closer to accurate than the OEM 200/50R18.

For you guys that run yours out what kind of speed are you all getting and what have you done to the bike to get those numbers?

Ride Safe, Fast but Safe:cool:

On the VMax you are almost a sail at those speeds. Fortunately I am 5'7" and 165 so I can tuck in pretty well and even the small OEM shield in front of the speedometer helps me. It's a blast even in a pretty much open field, both sides and flat for a ways watching the road 99% and glimpsing the speed and tach are a challenge. I love big speeds but I was use to ducking behind a quarter fairing on my CBR 1100 XX Blackbirds at 189 mph and my ZX11 back in the day. But as said it's such a rush.😁

The shop where I hang-out, one of the young guys has a Hyabusa, heavily re-worked, and he's thin and not tall. Out next-to the FL Everglades, on US 27, which runs from downtown Miami to MI (where US 27 has been de-commissioned, but there are still parts of it existing) guys go to run each other and to see top-speeds. He was backing-down from a GPS-documented run, when he lost control, nowhere near what he was doing at top-end, and wrecked his bike and put himself into the hospital, but the bike and he survived. His top end was the same as the new edition of the Ford GT.

This is the same shop where they love to build some impressive bikes, both old ones and new ones. They have a KZ1000J-based air-cooled-two-valve drag bike which has run in the 6-second bracket at close-to 200 mph. Some of the guys doing their bike maintenance/builds there, run 8.90 second dial-ins, with their mildly-modded Hyabusas. Both these guys run NOS. Both of these are street-licensed.

Hyabusa-Troy - Copy.jpg

Hyabusa-Charlie.jpg

Last edited:
It depends alot on what wind screen you have too. Originally I bought the tall oem windscreen. I was doing close to 100mph when I was crossing a big open field. The wind grabbed the bike like a sail a ripped me to the left side of the road. So that sob went to Ebay. I replaced it with the oem short windscreen and have done 170 no issues. I'm 6'1 245. Just make sure you button up that jacket lol, another story.

Been on the strip back in the 80's & 90's and two times in 07. Not into the stretched look, I want my bikes to look stock. I also will not go into the motor unless something breaks and not planning on that happening. However I do want to see what I can do with this one on the strip. So maybe one or two times to see if I have any issues getting it into the nines. That is as fast as I want to go with no slick or wheelie bar which are out of the question since I like running turns and twisties.

What does it feel like to ride at 175 MPH....................can you see a light at the end of the tunnel?
I WAS HITTING A LIL OVER 204 TO 207 ON MY BUSA..AND EVERYTHING AROUND ME WAS A BLUUR..SO MY 2020 VMAX IS NOTHING SCARRY.😁😁BUT AVENTUALLY U WILL SEE A LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL IF U LOOSE CONTROL OF THE BIKE..😳😳SO ITS ONLY KNOWING WHEN TO OPEN IT UP..AND ITS NOT IN TRAFFIC..👍👍

I'm used to drive/ride on German autobahn, but in the states, top on my Gen2 was 165 according to GPS. Was not maxed out, but the chicken in my pants became too strong

I WAS HITTING A LIL OVER 204 TO 207 ON MY BUSA..AND EVERYTHING AROUND ME WAS A BLUUR..SO MY 2020 VMAX IS NOTHING SCARRY.😁😁BUT AVENTUALLY U WILL SEE A LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL IF U LOOSE CONTROL OF THE BIKE..😳😳SO ITS ONLY KNOWING WHEN TO OPEN IT UP..AND ITS NOT IN TRAFFIC..👍👍
Yeah I would not even want to get close to 200 on the Max. The busa with the taller gearing, sixth speed tranny and aerodynamics is not an issue. Definitely NOT in traffic, back road that's open and long.

What'd you have done to your 'Busa to get it up to 204-207 as it definitely won't pull that without some work.

What'd you have done to your 'Busa to get it up to 204-207 as it definitely won't pull that without some work.
I THREW IN A POWER COMMANDER AND FULL YOSHI TRY OVAL SHAUST..AND K&N AIR FILTER..I HAD THE THE VERY FIRST YEAR WHICH CAME WITH OUT A GOVERNOR..IT FULL FILL MY ADRENALIN AND IT SCARED ME SOMETIMES..IT JUST HAD A BRUTE POWER AFTER A CHANGED ONE TOOTH DOWN IN THE FRONT..IT BECAME A WHEELIE BIKE THEN..😁😁

I THREW IN A POWER COMMANDER AND FULL YOSHI TRY OVAL SHAUST..AND K&N AIR FILTER..I HAD THE THE VERY FIRST YEAR WHICH CAME WITH OUT A GOVERNOR..IT FULL FILL MY ADRENALIN AND IT SCARED ME SOMETIMES..IT JUST HAD A BRUTE POWER AFTER A CHANGED ONE TOOTH DOWN IN THE FRONT..IT BECAME A WHEELIE BIKE THEN..😁😁
I've got a '19 Gen2 with the typical Akrapovic, Sprint filter, Schnitz Racing stacks and flashed and an '01 with an RCC Stage 2 'Axial Flow Rotary Exhaust'...

RCC Turbos Stage 2 Turbo 1.jpg

I do not own a Hyabusa.

The magazines for the first year were saying something in the 193-194 mph range, timed. I suspect a relatively stock 1st year bike w/bolt-ons would do that, or perhaps a bit-more. Going down a tooth would cost you top-end. Going up a tooth, could increase your top speed until you hit the aerodynamic 'brick wall,' where the aero drag exceeds the power of the bike to accelerate past that.

I'm running a 200/50/18 tire. Not sure of the accuracy but reached 180 on speedo

I'm running a 200/50/18 tire. Not sure of the accuracy but reached 180 on speedo
The smaller the diameter of the tire the further off the speedometer is. Therefore a 40 or 50(aspect ratio)will read a faster speed than a say 55 or 60. Both will be off but the lower the number will read faster.

The smaller the diameter of the tire the further off the speedometer is. Therefore a 40 or 50(aspect ratio)will read a faster speed than a say 55 or 60. Both will be off but the lower the number will read faster.
I'll agree with that.

I do not own a Hyabusa.

The magazines for the first year were saying something in the 193-194 mph range, timed. I suspect a relatively stock 1st year bike w/bolt-ons would do that, or perhaps a bit-more. Going down a tooth would cost you top-end. Going up a tooth, could increase your top speed until you hit the aerodynamic 'brick wall,' where the aero drag exceeds the power of the bike to accelerate past that.
General consensus is it takes roughly 200 hp or so for a 'Busa to break 200 mph...a Gen2, that's already 15hp up on a Gen1, even a de-restricted '99 model, might get there with a pipe, filter, tune, gearing changes and with a long enough run under the right conditions piloted by a very small, very 'aero' rider.

I don't see a Gen1 picking-up 10 to 14 mph with a pipe and tune.

Unless it's timed or GPS-verified that indicated 204 mph is closer to a true 196-197 on stock gearing. Any gearing or tire change, as mentioned, is going to throw it farther off.

Still damned fast but not the magical '200'...

Latest posts

Back