Tough to Crank..New Battery?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyQuest

Reaction score
Hey all, picked up my new (to me) 2014, and seems slow to crank over. Is this the nature of the beast or should I pick up a new battery? If so, recommendations on what battery?
I searched prior posts but that seems a tad tough since gen 1 & gen 2 in the posts get intermingled and can’t tell if the they’re talking about older model or newer (09+).
I don’t mind spending the extra for lithium if those produce the best results.
Sorry for the novel.
Thanks!

Lithium batteries had mixed reviews on the star vmax forum. They were either loved, or hated. Some went with the stock battery.

Hey all, picked up my new (to me) 2014, and seems slow to crank over. Is this the nature of the beast or should I pick up a new battery? If so, recommendations on what battery?
I searched prior posts but that seems a tad tough since gen 1 & gen 2 in the posts get intermingled and can’t tell if the they’re talking about older model or newer (09+).
I don’t mind spending the extra for lithium if those produce the best results.
Sorry for the novel.
Thanks!

The Gen 2 is slow to start, it requires several revolutions before it will come to life. That's perfectly normal, they all do it. Just keep your finger on the button.

I've had a Shorai lithium for over 5 years without an issue. Came out of the box and was never hooked to a charger. I switched just for the weight savings which is significant.

Also put a Shorai Lithium in my gen1 and did the crimp fix now the bike cranks and starts immediatly.

Lithium batteries don't like cold as much. When temps dropped to below 40 about a year ago I thought the bike wasn't going to start (it did, but was very slow turning over). One thing I've read about lithium batteries is if you put a load on it, it'll help with the cold starts. I use heated gloves when it gets cold enough so I plugged them in for about a minute before starting. It made a noticeable difference. I've since replaced it with an agm battery because I have a charger/maintainer. You can't use it on a lithium...have to get a specific charger for it. They're just as reasonable as a conventional charger.

Back