tranny Problem?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mad Max is fixed. Here's the deal.

If you have the clutch apart and for some reason the lever becomes stiff, a rod in the slave cylinder has come out and you must push it back in to get the lever to work again. This rod is behind the ball and long pushrod located in the trans mainshaft. You take the ball and pushrod out with a pencil magnet and then place a long screwdriver or other device (I used a long drill bit) and you have push or tap the rod back into the cylinder. I think gravity coould have played a part in this as Shawn mentioned but it could have been the wife brushed up against it or something else.

I ended up calling Sean Morley who told me what the problem was and he was right on. Many, many thanks to Sean for taking time to help me with this. I could not have fixed this problem without his input as there is no information in the manual at all and in most cases I doubt the dealers would know this either (unless they have a very experienced mechanic). I mean, the dealer here in Idaho didn't know the shift segment had been updated.

Thanks again Sean.

I'll be taking the bike to the strip soon and will post once i get times.

Mad Max is fixed. Here's the deal.

If you have the clutch apart and for some reason the lever becomes stiff, a rod in the slave cylinder has come out and you must push it back in to get the lever to work again. This rod is behind the ball and long pushrod located in the trans mainshaft. You take the ball and pushrod out with a pencil magnet and then place a long screwdriver or other device (I used a long drill bit) and you have push or tap the rod back into the cylinder. I think gravity coould have played a part in this as Shawn mentioned but it could have been the wife brushed up against it or something else.

I ended up calling Sean Morley who told me what the problem was and he was right on. Many, many thanks to Sean for taking time to help me with this. I could not have fixed this problem without his input as there is no information in the manual at all and in most cases I doubt the dealers would know this either (unless they have a very experienced mechanic). I mean, the dealer here in Idaho didn't know the shift segment had been updated.

Thanks again Sean.

I'll be taking the bike to the strip soon and will post once i get times.

With the clutch all together,opening the bleeder should have done the same thing.It has for me many times.

With the clutch all together,opening the bleeder should have done the same thing.It has for me many times.

Shawn,

I tried that and the clutch lever was still rock solid. The plunger must have been stuck pretty good if you've had good luck with this procedure in the past. I do appreciate your input as without help like this many of us would be at a loss to get our bikes up and running again.

I must say I learned a great deal on this repair and can't say enough about this forum. What would we do if it weren't here?

John

Hammer

Can you tell me how the change the segment. I will be doing it in a few weeks. Any advice as i have never done this before.

Thanks
Vince
Extreme Vmax
1997 Max

Latest posts

Back