tranny Problem?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HammerZR-1

Reaction score
Went for a ride today and the bike rn pretty good. It's still missinf when I get on it but I'm still running Seafoam through it.

A problem came up with the tranny today. I came to a stop and put it in what I thought was first gear. Went to take off and it actually was in neutral. Riding it home gave me the following symtoms.
  1. Could not get the bike into first gear at all. I tried adjusting the linkage with no change.
  2. Leaving in second gear, going through the gears I could not get it into fifth either. I could ride for a bit with the lever pulled up, and when I let it back down and pulled up, it would go into fifth gear.
  3. I just let the bike sit for awhile and it was parked in second. Shifted it into neutral and then tried first and it went into gear.
What's up with this? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

Sounds exactly like the shift segment problem.What year bike is it? If it is one of the older ones it is an easy fix to replace the bad parts with the new design.Do a search for Shift segment the new part numbers and everything are already here in an old thread.

Since the bike's a '98 I agree with Shawn. They changed the segment in '99.

For a second I thought I was going to need to move this to the burnout forum...

I thought maybe you paid good money for a hooker and got a tranny...:whistlin:

Sounds like you got the tech guys on it!:thumbs up:

For a second I thought I was going to need to move this to the burnout forum...

I thought maybe you paid good money for a hooker and got a tranny...:whistlin:

Sounds like you got the tech guys on it!:thumbs up:

Geeeeze Chris, she looked hot at bar closing time :confused2:

oh yeah, +1 on the shifter segment. Sounds exactly like when mine went out in my Venture.

Got the part numbers from previous posts. Looks like a fairly easy fix. Thanks guys.

Got the parts ordered locally. Had it not been for this forum and the help of you guys, the dealer would have ordered the old parts. He had no clue about the updated segment. I had him order from the 2000 Vmax parts list and the part numbers came up the same as in another thread (updated numbers).

Keeping in mind I have never done this before, will I lose all the oil?

Thanks again fellers. :punk:

Got the parts ordered locally. Had it not been for this forum and the help of you guys, the dealer would have ordered the old parts. He had no clue about the updated segment. I had him order from the 2000 Vmax parts list and the part numbers came up the same as in another thread (updated numbers).

Keeping in mind I have never done this before, will I lose all the oil?

Thanks again fellers. :punk:

No, you'll be ok as long as the bike is on the sidestand.

Mike

Update, I got the old segment out and the star washer (for lack of better term) that held the pins in was sure enough messed up. Attached is a picture, it's not really clear but for those that have been in this area, you can see that.

When replacing the segment, I would add one more part number to the list and that is the countersunk bolt that holds the segment in. It is a torx head and I stripped mine and had to drill the head off to get it out. Cost is .91 cents at the dealer and it has to be ordered in most cases. It prevented me from getting the job done until it comes in. I'll post pics of the new segment when it's in. There is a BIG difference and I am shocked that the old parts are still available. Seems to me they should be superceded by this one.

Part number is 90151-06013-00 Countersunk Screw

Attachments

• IM000948.jpg
    IM000948.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IM000949.jpg
    IM000949.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IM000950.jpg
    IM000950.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IM000951.jpg
    IM000951.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 68
Got it fixed today!! Not a bad deal to replace. Attached are some more pics of the updated segment, hope they come out OK. If anyone is going to do this, make sure you have a service manual, the clutch plates go in a certain way and so does the pressure plate.

Thanks for the help guys, I couldn't have done this without the advise you gave me. Bike runs fine and never missed a shift all day.

I have run a tank of Sefoam through the bike and the miss is now gone too. Oh yeah, it runs sweet now.

Thanks Again.

Attachments

• Segment Repaired 003 small.jpg
    Segment Repaired 003 small.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Segment Repaired 004 small.jpg
    Segment Repaired 004 small.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Segment Repaired 007 small.jpg
    Segment Repaired 007 small.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Segment Repaired 009 small.jpg
    Segment Repaired 009 small.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 39
sweeet brotha, are those worn tabs or whatever considered dogs? im clueless when it comes to trannys if someone could make a faq of this or something thatd be great

sweeet brotha, are those worn tabs or whatever considered dogs? im clueless when it comes to trannys if someone could make a faq of this or something thatd be great

I think that would be a good description. If you have shifting problems this is probably what is causing it.

Got it fixed today!! Not a bad deal to replace. Attached are some more pics of the updated segment, hope they come out OK. If anyone is going to do this, make sure you have a service manual, the clutch plates go in a certain way and so does the pressure plate.

Thanks for the help guys, I couldn't have done this without the advise you gave me. Bike runs fine and never missed a shift all day.

I have run a tank of Sefoam through the bike and the miss is now gone too. Oh yeah, it runs sweet now.

Thanks Again.

You have this put together wrong! The arm(pawl) should be riding in on the pins not on the outside egde triangles.

I agree Shawn. When I looked at it this morming I didn't enlarge the pics. It defenitely won't shift for long like that.

Sean

You have this put together wrong! The arm(pawl) should be riding in on the pins not on the outside egde triangles.

Thanks, I'll fix it today.

Again, this Forum has been a blessing for me. The info here is fantastic.

I tore it back apart and the lever actually had moved over to the dowels. Don't ask me how.

BUT, when I was putting it back together I may have screwed it up royally. The clutch cannot be pulled in at all. I took it back apart and there is a ball stuck in the big shaft that the clutch goes onto. I remember giving the plunger that goes in the end of this shaft a tap with a mallet. What now guys, is it F _ _ _ _ _ Up good (or bad). That big shaft, does it come out without having to tear the tranny apart?

I tore it back apart and the lever actually had moved over to the dowels. Don't ask me how.

BUT, when I was putting it back together I may have screwed it up royally. The clutch cannot be pulled in at all. I took it back apart and there is a ball stuck in the big shaft that the clutch goes onto. I remember giving the plunger that goes in the end of this shaft a tap with a mallet. What now guys, is it F _ _ _ _ _ Up good (or bad). That big shaft, does it come out without having to tear the tranny apart?

Did you open the clutch bleeder to see if it freed up?I have seen them lock up several times while apart.I almost swore someone pumped my clutch lever while it was apart.It really pissed me off.Finally one time I taped a 2x4 behind the clutch lever and it still froze up.It has something to do with gravity?If you can tell I have been in the clutch way too many times.

Did you open the clutch bleeder to see if it freed up?I have seen them lock up several times while apart.I almost swore someone pumped my clutch lever while it was apart.It really pissed me off.Finally one time I taped a 2x4 behind the clutch lever and it still froze up.It has something to do with gravity?If you can tell I have been in the clutch way too many times.

I'll give that a try and get back to you. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back