Tranny

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t3ttp

Reaction score
I had trouble shifting into 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear. While in these gears, if i hit the throttle higher than 1500 rpm, it would jump out of gear. The I could not shift into gear 2, 3, and 4 anymore. Only had 1st and 5th gear. Tore the thing apart and found that all the teeth on all gears apears to be in really good condition. The shifting forks are also in good condition. I bought a second tranny awith shift drum and fork but the one on the bike appears to be in better shape than the unit i purchased. The bike has 43k miles and the trans parts that i purchased had 12k when removed. The clutch looks not great but not bad either. I will replace the clutch too. Should I swap the tranny, drum and shifting fork?

The shifter at the time I purchased the bike was slightly bent, would this caused the shifting issue. Only rode the bike for 5 miles before tearing everything apart. Was sure it was the second gear issue but quite sure now.

What should I do? Thanks in advance.

The teeth of the gears do nothing to hold it in gear. That's the job of the dogs which are on the sides of the gears. They should be sharp edged.

Sean

Latest posts

Back