Traveling on an early Generation I

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VS Bullet

Reaction score
Are the early bikes(1988) trustworty enough to travel on if in good condition? Probably 1 thousand mile round trips.
I'm thinking replace the wheel, neck, swing arm bearings and the rubber items around the carbs, get suspension in good condition and she should be good to go.

1000 miles is baby work for any year VMax that's in good shape. I'm 6,000 miles from Alaska and if my body could, I would... On either my 89 or my 94.

I'd take my '85 on a multi-thousand mile ride in a heartbeat.

I'm leaving for Alaska in a few days but I'm taking either my Ural or my KLR ... haven't decided which. I'm not taking the VMax just because the other 2 are better on dirt / mud roads that I may take a few detours on.

I had complete confidence in my '89 once I went through the bike. I went through the entire wiring harness and eliminated all the cold joints, etc. Good seat, grips and highway pegs make a huge difference. I rode to Sturgis twice and that's about 1100 miles round trip not including all the touring I did out there.

1000 mile trip is nothing for a Vmax, and too if my body and health were good enough I would head for Alaska also. That would be like the ultimate bike trip for me. Just make sure you have clean oil and fuel filter, good tires and head out. I went to Branson Missouri about 8 years ago on my 85 Max , ran her 70 to 100 MPH the whole trip, only stopping for fuel every 100 miles and refreshments. I stayed a week and done a lot of riding, total mileage was about 2900 miles and never a hiccup from my Max. My bike was 18 yrs old when I took this trip.

If it is good mechanical order it should be no problem. There are a few things I did to mine to make distance riding more comfortable; Reshaped seat by Morley's Muscle, small windshield to keep the wind off of my body, OD 5th gear by Morley's Muscle, suspension upgrades (Progressive springs and shocks), good luggage and most important riding gear for all conditions (Riding pants, waterproof boots/ gloves, rain gear, cold weather clothing).
I went on a 2400 mile trip last year about this time and doing it again starting on Thursday. I'm fully confident that my Vmax is more than up for the ride!

Thanks!
I was hoping this to be the case. It will take some time to get it in shape, but I had rather travel on a classic V Max than buy some newer fat bike for travel.

Back