Triple tree Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcruiser

Reaction score
Need some input from the machinist experts on this forum.

Is it possible and safe to machine the 43mm triple tree fork holes to 45mm? I want to install 2000 GSXR 600 forks on a Radian using the vmax triple trees.

Another question; will using the 2000 GSXR triple trees on a Radian frame create negative issues with rake & trail of the Radian?

Mike

The radian already had pretty pulled in forks so not sure what the effect would be with swapping the whole front end over. Might be ok still. Probably won't find any specs anywhere for either of them (the tree specs). I would think you could take 2 mm out of it (1mm material removed all the way around) but of course you're going to be on your own with it. If I remember right the forks are 50mm though where it goes through the bottom triple and I am pretty sure the fork spacing and angle is not going to let the top Radian triple simply machine out. There won't be enough on the Radian lower to machine out.

Sean

The radian already had pretty pulled in forks so not sure what the effect would be with swapping the whole front end over. Might be ok still. Probably won't find any specs anywhere for either of them (the tree specs). I would think you could take 2 mm out of it (1mm material removed all the way around) but of course you're going to be on your own with it. If I remember right the forks are 50mm though where it goes through the bottom triple and I am pretty sure the fork spacing and angle is not going to let the top Radian triple simply machine out. There won't be enough on the Radian lower to machine out.

Sean

I don't think I explained myself properly. I'm thinking of using the 43mm triple trees from a vmax and the complete front end off a GSXR 600 (wheel, brakes and fork legs) - they are the conventional style (not USD) and are 45mm in diameter.

I did more measurements last night and using a trail calculator, the radian trail is 4.24", the vmax is 4.69" and this set up should result in 4.4" trail - so I think this part should be ok.

Mike

Need some input from the machinist experts on this forum.

Is it possible and safe to machine the 43mm triple tree fork holes to 45mm? I want to install 2000 GSXR 600 forks on a Radian using the vmax triple trees.
Im not an expert but...

Easly and with no problems, 1mm per side is nothing.
Another question; will using the 2000 GSXR triple trees on a Radian frame create negative issues with rake & trail of the Radian?

Mike
You may have problems with radiator to fork clearnace.
Steam from gsxr may have diffrent steam offset.

Some other things to consider with this mod like spring load(gsxr is a hell lot of lighter bike) and fork lenght(most of those forks are much much shorter.)

Like Sean said, they're about 50mm at the lower tripple mounting area.
Nothing easy with this mod.

Well, Vmax triples and Radian steering stem are off to the machinist tomorrow. Steering stem on the Radian is pretty much the same as on the Vmax except it's 3/4" shorter.

Once done and on the bike, will need to measure up the gxsr's pieces to make fit. The Vmax triples are 1/2" narrower than on the Gsxr.

Mike

Back