Tripometer won't adjust...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reagenn

Reaction score
Anybody know how to loosen up the tripometer? The knob is tight and will not adjust the numbers....feels like they are in a bind or something. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Good luck disassembling the speedo unit. As far as I can tell the face plate/ring is crimped to the body.

If someone can get it apart without some special tool to de crimp and re crimp they get hella skills.

If you get no satisfaction from attempting to spray some lube into the adjustment knob shaft, perhaps this is a hint that it's time to upgrade to a digital. I bet Sean has good options to choose from along those lines.

I would love to update to digital as long as it included a tachometer. Why they put the original guage way down on the tank is beyond me.

Most of the digital speedos I've seen require some sort of electrical modification which is not my strong suit.

I wonder if anyone has tried a Gen2 cluster?

I tried a Gen II cluster. I liked it so much, there's two of them sitting in the garage right now. One on my wifes' 09, and the other on my 09. lol

Contact Sean. He has all your answers, and probably a price list to go with them. And from Armore, OK, it's an easy trip up I-35 to his shop near Derby, KS for any installation assistance you may need.

Apparently the buyer has already left positive feedback.

However, it appears the guy is making a lot of money by making buyers place a sizable down deposit and then if they don't pay the balance in 7 days he keeps their money and resells the item.. lol

Better read the fine print with this guy!

If you read his negative feedbacks, you'll also notice some items were totally misrepresented and subsequently trashed by the buyer as 'useless'. I wonder what he may be misrepresenting on this low-mileage Gen II?

And I know of no one that would give positive feedback on a big ticket Ebay item before actually taking possession of it. The whole thing still smells to me.

If he were local he could have already taken possession. I know I would have if I had bought it. I would not have sent the down payment but instead taken the whole amount and picked up the bike. But then again, who knows....

Shala found her custom 09 on Ebay. It was over 730 miles away. After emails and phone calls to that dealership, I still wouldn't put actual money down to hold that bike. Instead, we waited until Fri after work, hooked up the trailer and with funding in hand, drove all evening, and up early that Sat morning to be at the dealership when it opened. AFTER we checked out the bike first hand, and heard it run, then we paid. Half hour or so later, as we were being handed all the completed paperwork, another couple showed up to buy the bike - too late. The guy was frustrated he couldn't get his wife up & around any earlier that Sat morning, and even more so as I explained to him that it was not I, but instead, Shala that was buying the bike. lol.

Ha ha. She sounds a lot like my wife. So far I have always talked her into just riding 2 up, but she's getting more insistent on having her own. Don't know how much longer I can put her off.

Your wife must be quite lady to want a Vmax. Especially a 2nd Gen. Kudos to her!

Shala found her custom 09 on Ebay. It was over 730 miles away. After emails and phone calls to that dealership, I still wouldn't put actual money down to hold that bike. Instead, we waited until Fri after work, hooked up the trailer and with funding in hand, drove all evening, and up early that Sat morning to be at the dealership when it opened. AFTER we checked out the bike first hand, and heard it run, then we paid. Half hour or so later, as we were being handed all the completed paperwork, another couple showed up to buy the bike - too late. The guy was frustrated he couldn't get his wife up & around any earlier that Sat morning, and even more so as I explained to him that it was not I, but instead, Shala that was buying the bike. lol.
That's an Awesome Story !!!
And Shala Looks Great on her Gen 2 !!!

Ouch, that IS a little steep. Maybe when I get everything else the way I want it I can do something similar to that.

I'll put it on the list! lol

I would love to update to digital as long as it included a tachometer. Why they put the original guage way down on the tank is beyond me.

Most of the digital speedos I've seen require some sort of electrical modification which is not my strong suit.

I wonder if anyone has tried a Gen2 cluster?

Be careful as mine broke of years ago , now I did read on here years ago that there is a digital speedo that will fit in original housing . :confused2:

I finally got it to work after a little wd40. There has to be a better solution that is plug and play to the whole speedo/tack issue than what I've seen.

Back