Trouble with front brake light

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djw479

Reaction score
Noob here with a simple question.

I've recently replaced the rear brake pads and adjusted the rear brake pedal light switch to accomodate. While checking out the brake light functions, I noticed the brake light does not come on when applying the front brake lever. It worked occasionally when I first noticed it, but now (a few days later) the front brake level does not light the brake light at all. Bike has not gotten wet at all during this discovery.

Is there some front brake light switch adjustment similar to the rear brake? The Yamaha Owners Manual does not contain any maintenance info regarding a front brake switch. I see how to adjust the front brake lever height, but I did not see a switch attached.

I am just purchasing a service manual that should hopefully arrive in a week or so. But being in Chicago my warmer days of riding are quickly coming to an end, and I am chomping to ride it more NOW. Any knowledge on what to check, clean, switch to replace, etc would be greatly appreciated.

I know some may may say just engage the rear brake level first when stopping, but I tend to use my front brakes first and foremost. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I really want have both brakes initiate the brake light!

Thanks for any advice in advance,
Dan

Last edited:
Dan, I would use contact cleaner and clean the brake switch leads and connections. Then, use an ohmmeter to verify switch works.

Dan, There is a switch under the brake lever that is designed like the old points type ignition. Corrosion will build on the contact points, that prolly is the problem.
I got a new switch from the stealer, 'bout $15, then took the old one apart and cleaned up the contacts with a file. It now works fine.
I'll mail it to you if you want to use it as a test switch to check yours.
Part # for a new switch for your bike is SKU: 36Y-83980-01-00

danny

OK, can I plead the fifth?!? When I first looked at the front brake lever it was sort of dark...yeah, that's it...it was very dark! Based on your responses, I used some online parts diagrams and found that bugger late last night.

So this morning with fresh eyes and some sunlight I discovered the switch you both were describing, it was glaring right at me the whole time. The connectors looked a little corroded and one was not a tight fit. Just cleaned up the connectors and buttoned it up nice and tight...all is good in my V-Max world again! Got to ride it over my lunch hour safety, with brake lights functioning.

Thanks again for helping out this newbie. Hopefully some day I will be able to help someone else on here.

Dan

Dan, There is a switch under the brake lever that is designed like the old points type ignition. Corrosion will build on the contact points, that prolly is the problem.
I got a new switch from the stealer, 'bout $15, then took the old one apart and cleaned up the contacts with a file. It now works fine.
I'll mail it to you if you want to use it as a test switch to check yours.
Part # for a new switch for your bike is SKU: 36Y-83980-01-00

danny
Thanks for the tip. This is an old post but I was able to clean up my front brake switch. It saved me a few $$ and a wait for the part to show up.

If the brake light switch gave you issues, you might want to do some preventative work on your switch pods and their electrical contacts inside. You also may want to lubricate the sidestand switch plunger/shaft, as it can build-up deposits which cause it to stick, and you will be stuck with an inoperable bike until you fix it. There are other switches you may want-to address.

These will help:
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/how-to-recondition-the-ignition-switch.17281/

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/how-to-recondition-the-clutch-side-switch-pod.20783/

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/h...ts-of-the-throttle-side-switch-housing.17272/

Back