Trunk? Lockable?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ih8detroits

Reaction score
:ummm: Does or has anyone seen or made a lockable trunk to replace the rear seat on a first gen. Vmax. I was thinking of something that had the same lines as the original seat, so it wouldn't look funny, paint to match, etc.,etc.. :hmmm:

I constructed a locking trunk that bolts onto the back of my bike, after removing the rear seat and grab rail assembly. A removable cover replaces the rear seat, hiding the auxiliary gas tank, and providing a flat place to strap on luggage.
I'm sure you don't want to go to this extent, but what you are proposing is entirely "doable"- and actually a great idea! A seat-trunk (for lack of a better description), together with some hard or soft bags, would set up the Max nicely for some solo touring.
I made the cover to approximately the same demensions as the passenger seat. There is a surprising amount of room that can be used for storage.
As you have suggested, you could put a thin layer of foam over the top of the trunk, with vinyl over that. It would then look like the stock seat.
As for the locking feature, again this would be no problem. The cover for your trunk could be hinged at the back, and secured with a latch in the front, behind the flip section of the rider's seat. Only people familiar with the v-max seat arrangment would know how to get at the latch for your trunk. Or, as an alternative, you could equip the cover with a visible locking arrangement. On my trunk, I used one of the locks from a set of car racks.
Be sure to post some pics if you fab up something!
Cheers:punk:

I had even thought of finding someone with a plastic former to make a mold of the seat in order to build a fiberglass trunk, but you are on the same wave link that I am. I don't always need the seat and thought a lockable trunk space would be nice. Something that bolts in using the seat mounting bolts.

I sometimes use a "barrel" style bag that I attach to the oem luggage rack when I do extended trips. Its not lockable, but an option. The idea of making a trunk unit that could be swapped with the rear seat is pretty cool though!

I'd love to replace the rear seat with a trunk, but I've never come across anything like this. Sorta surprising after all these years that no aftermarket options to replace the rear seat exist (at least that I'm aware of).

I had even thought of finding someone with a plastic former to make a mold of the seat in order to build a fiberglass trunk, but you are on the same wave link that I am. I don't always need the seat and thought a lockable trunk space would be nice. Something that bolts in using the seat mounting bolts.[/QUOTE
I've toyed with the idea of fabricating parts using the molding process, but all the parts I make are one-offs. If you were to go commercial with your trunk, a "master" mold would be the way to go.

What has worked well for me, for the bodywork I have made, is to form the rough outline of the piece using light gauge aluminum sheet metal ( such as roll stock, used for trimming around windows and doors), then obtaining the final shape with body fill, then a layer of fiberglass, finally finishing like you would a car panel. Very durable results. I've never had anything crack with mileage.
Important that the bodyfill layer is used, since fiberglass does not bond as well to bare metal.
A foam and vinyl covered seat trunk would not require an exacting final shape or finish, for obvious reasons.
Using the existing seat mounting holes for the trunk would be the simplest and best solution. Easy on, easy off.
Your idea is such a good one that I'd make one for myself, but the area under my rear seat is always occupied by one of the two auxilary gas tanks I use, dependant on the mode of the bike - street use or touring.
Cheers!

:ttiwwp:Ya here me.

Hadn't figured out how to get the images out of my head and on the computer yet! LOL!! :bang head: As soon as I can figure out how I want to do this and get it roughed out I'll get pics.

I had even thought of finding someone with a plastic former to make a mold of the seat in order to build a fiberglass trunk, but you are on the same wave link that I am. I don't always need the seat and thought a lockable trunk space would be nice. Something that bolts in using the seat mounting bolts.

Curious about your screen name...

Sounds like Miles owes us pics. Good tip on fabrication from him. And I bet some people are going to burn the midnight oil on this.

Curious about your screen name...

Sounds like Miles owes us pics. Good tip on fabrication from him. And I bet some people are going to burn the midnight oil on this.

My screen name came from when I worked for a trucking company as a mechanic and they ran Detroit series 60 engines. I left there and went to work for a Caterpillar dealer and found the CAT truck engines so much easier to work on, and this is why I hate Detroits.(ih8detroits) I now work for Fedex as a ground support equipment mechanic at the airport in Memphis.

Miles had some great tips. I talked to another guy that said fiberglass was the way to go. I will be looking forward to trying to make this trunk. It will be a learning experience thats for sure.

Back