Tuning - Top Speed - Fuel Economy Issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klatuu

Reaction score
Symptoms -

Top speed peters out around 115.
Fuel economy around 25mpg (GPS confirmed)
Faint smell of gas detectable up to 6ft away, and the right exhaust smells a little richer than the left. No puddles anywhere, though.

Details -

1993 VMax I bought last August in Daytona, FL. Has some corrosion due to salt air, but nothing too serious. New muscle seat, new brakes, wheels from an '06, Progressive springs w/1 inch lowering, engine & gear oil changed too often, most likely. The engine is stock except for Mark's 2-4 exhaust, and a K&N filter. AFAIK, stock jets. I live in Kennesaw, GA, about 1100 ft ASL. Last fall, on a trip up to Maggie Valley, NC, a relatively sedate cruise (65-85mph) with some of my Hog-riding buddies, I was getting right at 41mpg. Twice, on long stretches of straight road near home, I had her up to 130+, and she had noticeably more pull over 100 than she does now. I ran the engine at least once a week all winter, and no more than 1 month went by without riding it. The problem was worse last week, with the bike only going 62 miles before the light came on, although the top speed issue was the same. New plugs got it pulling harder, and yesterday it made 80 miles before the fuel light lit up.

I plan to give it some upgrades anyway, jet kit and so forth, but I'd like to figure out exactly whats up with it. I'm taking it on an 800 mile trip next weekend, and I'd like to not have to stop for gas every 75 miles. :bang head:

ETA: Did the "peashooter" technique last week, too.

Last edited:
Were all the plugs fouled,or just certain ones? I'd jump on that problem before doing that trip. Sounds like a carb problem. Was there stailizer in the gas last winter? Lot's of carb info here.
Steve

If you did the peashooter, did you also do the shotgun? They hit different circuits of the carbs. A can of sea-foam might also be worth a shot.

Top speed should be up around 140 or a tad north. Sounds like you're definitely down on power and running way too rich. Air jet blocked maybe? Slides sticking?

Back