Types of brake pads????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stock pads. They. won't. stop. squeeking.
2006 and just ordered:
EBC FA160HH - Front
and FA88HH - Rear

Over roughly 1500 city miles I've only locked the rear once and I that was because I wanted to. We'll see if I end up swapping the rear and going organic for it, but I'm hoping not because I hate messing with brake dust and dicking around with pads in general. In it for the lower maintenance and longer life.

I use all brakes all the time under normal conditions, and I apply rear before front in wet conditions just out of caution. When the roads are a slick I'd much rather find out I'm floating on oil with a fishtail instead of a cartwheel.

I think that going against the advice of Morley will ultimately result in me blowing $30 and agreeing with him, but I so badly want the HH pad on the rear to work out that I'm going to try it for myself.

Side note: the front pads have plenty of life but the rear pads are totally gone. The original owner apparently subscribed to the 'front brake = instant death' line of thinking... and over a mere 2000 miles managed to totally kill the rear pads. :ummm:

talk to sean. he has stuff that goes ON the pads and helped me immensely.

I ran the HH pads front and rear the entire time I had the bike. Maybe I just got used to it, but I did not find the rear brake to be excessively touchy or grabby.

To be fair, I rarely used the rear brake. Usually only on hard stops, or if I felt like being a yobbo and made a show of coasting up to a stoplight making a leisurely stretch with both hands, just riding the rear pedal to slow down. This tends to freak cagers out.

After ~22k miles, the front pads were about 50% and the rear looked barely worn. Easily 75%. I was fairly hard on the front brakes as well....they hauled the bike from 130+ to 55 as fast as possible many times. If I was really in hooligan mode I'd cook the front calipers to the point I could pull the lever to the bar with little effect. Despite being high performance pads they seem to have really good life, especially considering the vmax is not a light bike.

(that was with R1 front calipers)

Back